ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Agent Start Script When A Port Is In Use

Posted Jan 26, 2016 03:21 PM

The sample script provided by CA attempts to start the agent but does not verify it is up and running. 

This past weekend we had a Linux server that was booted and the startup script was nvoked and the start agent command was issued.
    But due to a port being in use (ftp.serverport), the start agent of the agent terminated and manual intervention was required to start.

The best solution would be for us to have a Corporate Enterprise Gate Keeper for allocation and distribution of ports.  I have spoken with a number of people in the organization and while they all agree that it is a good idea, it is unfortunately not taking place.

This is the first time that this has occurred in the 10 years that I have been here.  Not sure when or if it will happen again, but I would prefer to modify the start script to prevent it.

Have any other users experienced this issue?

Prior to coding an updated start script listed below are the enhancements that I am considering:

• Issue command to start agent
    • Wait for predefined interval ( 3-5 seconds)
    • Get PID from status.os file in agent directory.
    • Check if PID is active
      • Then start successful.
    • Else if Inactive PID
      • Wait for predefined interval ( 10 – 30 seconds)
      • Loop back to top  ( would probably want a max retry on loop and notification message if max retry exceeded. )

Are the enhancements listed above complete or should additional functionality be included?

Has anyone enhanced the sample start script to make it more robust?

If yes can the script be posted?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Agent Start Script When A Port Is In Use
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 26, 2016 07:30 PM

Hi Rick,

Your point is valid, and it would be best if you could also post this under the idea section, where other users can vote on your idea as well.  Our Product Management team regularly monitor the ideas and provide feedback as well.  If you like, I can post it there on behalf of you, but it is best if you do it, as you will get direct updates when there is activity on your post.

To post an idea to the CA User Community follow the steps below:

https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-workload-automation/overview

Click on "Log in" to login with your support online credentials, then

-> Select Actions

-> Create an idea.

Regards,

Pradeep

• 3.  Re: Agent Start Script When A Port Is In Use

Posted Jan 27, 2016 10:02 AM

Posted as an Idea as suggested.

Agent Start Script When A Port Is In Use