ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  How to drop a JOBONQ REEXEC dependency.

Posted Mar 11, 2015 10:39 AM

Hi,

I am getting back into ESP after 12 years; and I recently saw an issue I could not find an answer to in the manuals.

A job has several JOBONQ REEXEC in (30) statements coded, and one of the jobs to wait for was in a failed status.  We wanted to force the job to run, but none of the commands we tried would force the job with SUBDELAY (Submit delayed by ReExec nn) to run; we tried DR, RT etc.

Is there a CSF command to force a job to execute in this scenario?       

Thanks in advance,

Darrell

• 2.  Re: How to drop a JOBONQ REEXEC dependency.
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 11, 2015 11:37 AM

Hi Darrel,

Good to have you back...!

I have been there before.

FYI,

The JOBONQ will REEXEC in 30 minutes. The failed job will no longer be on the input queue and the job will run

But !!! 30 minutes is a long time to wait.

A couple notes:

1) If you are in that situation you can update the APPL to REEXEC(1). The next time the appl is scanned (job starting for example) it will update the REEXEC value to 1.  The job will start in 1 minute.  This is not ideal.but might get you out of a jam.

2) BETTER....I would recommend putting shorter REEXEC periods.

3) BEST - Use Resources or NOTWITH statements instead of the JOBONQ to control whether jobs can run together.  I don't know your exact scenario but this should completely resolve your issue.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.....

2Cents

• 3.  Re: How to drop a JOBONQ REEXEC dependency.

Posted Mar 11, 2015 01:33 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

We got around the issue by running the job outside the schedule, then force completing it in ESP.  Your work-around makes sense, and we will keep it in mind if we need it again. 

The shop I previously worked at used resources too, and I agree that they are easier to control.    

• 4.  RE: Re: How to drop a JOBONQ REEXEC dependency.

Posted Jan 03, 2022 09:22 AM
    Sorry for waking up this post, but I really would like to know how to "update the APPL to REEXEC(1). "

• 5.  RE: Re: How to drop a JOBONQ REEXEC dependency.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 04, 2022 08:09 AM

Hello Leonardo,

Please see the online doc below with examples of using REEXEC:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/automation/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/12-0/reference/statements/reexec-statement-re-execute-procedures.html

Regards,

Lucy

• 6.  RE: Re: How to drop a JOBONQ REEXEC dependency.

Posted Jan 05, 2022 04:20 AM
    Lucy, Thank you!

But I mean how to change the REEXEC when a job is already in SUBDELAY state, after having done a REEXEC in the application.

I understood in the original post that the JOB had entered in a REEXEC state of 30 minutes, and the suggestion was to change it to 1 minute "on fly", in a active generation appl.

The original post quote:
    "1) If you are in that situation you can update the APPL to REEXEC(1). The next time the appl is scanned (job starting for example) it will update the REEXEC value to 1.  The job will start in 1 minute.  This is not ideal.but might get you out of a jam."

• 7.  RE: Re: How to drop a JOBONQ REEXEC dependency.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 05, 2022 08:05 AM

Hello Leonardo,

If you don't use PCACHE, then you can simply change the ESP Proc where REEXEC is specified, and ESP will use the new value.

But if you have turned on PCACHE, then you will need to issue CPROC DELETE after the change to remove the cached copy, so that the change will take place.

Hope this helps,

Lucy