ESP Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Does anyone have operational experience with using a dormant copy of CA-7?

• 1.  Does anyone have operational experience with using a dormant copy of CA-7?

Posted Aug 22, 2014 11:49 AM

We are considering setting up a dormant copy of CA-7 to give us the resiliancy of a hot backup should the LPAR where the primary is running fail.

We are curious about other user's experience with the dormant copy.

Is it worth the effort?

Are there any gotchas to be aware of?

What additional operational considerations might there be? (For example, how do you deal with situations where you really need both copies down? Once the dormant copy takes over, how do you return  to the primary again?)

Is there a way to bring dpwn the dormant copy cleanly? If you reply stop to the WTOR the doc says it will end with an abend code.

• 2.  Re: Does anyone have operational experience with using a dormant copy of CA-7?

Posted Mar 22, 2016 08:12 AM

Hi Jeffrey,

Sorry we took so long to 'jump in' here--thought this would be best to be discussed by 'users' of the product and not support...but, since no one has 'chimed in', I'll see if I can answer:

-Is it worth the effort?  I would think so--and not much effort is needed.  Mainly I would think that you will need to 'unhook' CA 7 from automation.

-Are there any gotchas to be aware of?  There are no reported problems with using a DORMant copy of CA 7.

-What additional operational considerations might there be? (For example, how do you deal with situations where you really need both copies down? Once the dormant copy takes over, how do you return  to the primary again?)  Once the DORMant copy has taken over, you can just do a /SHUTDOWN command to do a clean shutdown.   As long as there is no other DORMant copy waiting, then both 7's will be down.

-Is there a way to bring dpwn the dormant copy cleanly? If you reply stop to the WTOR the doc says it will end with an abend code.   See above.

Marysue