VM

View Only
  • 1.  DASD Usage Reporting?

Posted Apr 10, 2018 03:36 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for reporting VM dasd usage ?  I'm interested in reporting how much capacity is available to VM, how much is configured to linux servers, in terms of GB or TB.  It might require that only dasd defined within vmsecure dasd config.  Any suggestions ?

• 2.  Re: DASD Usage Reporting?

Posted Apr 10, 2018 04:26 PM

Have you looked at the VMSECURE MAP command output?  You can put the output in a file to allow you to write an exec to summarize the data if that is what you are looking for.  VMSECURE ULIST output can give you the dasd allocated by user id.  That output can also go into a file.  Also check out the DASD utilities in the CA Mainframe VM Product Manager documentation.  You may get some use out of the output from those utilities.

• 3.  Re: DASD Usage Reporting?

Posted Apr 10, 2018 04:34 PM

I did not know about a ULIST cmd, I'll look at that.  I know about the MAP cmd, too bad it doesn't give me a % by POOL, even that would be helpful.  VMSECURE really hasn't enhanced in this area at all.  I've been writing some things to pull it all in but it would be nice if the products were enhanced a little bit to provide information for us, I am severely limited on time.  The VM:Manager utilities are old and only report on mdisk usage, not total by user, I think.  Linux clients want to know and verify,  how much dasd was configured for them, how much is used/free and by who ?

Thanks

• 4.  Re: DASD Usage Reporting?

Posted Apr 10, 2018 04:59 PM

ULIST will help you get total DASD allocated to a user. However, it won't give you usage information. MDSKSCAN can give you usage information, but only for CMS disks.   By the way, you can do MDSKSCAN from the ULIST output screen if you let it go to your terminal vs. a file.

• 5.  Re: DASD Usage Reporting?

Posted Apr 11, 2018 08:47 AM

When I say "usage" I mean from my VM perspective.  If a dasd (usually full pack mdisk) is defined in a server directory it's 100% used to VM,  I can't allocate anything else on it, I'm not interested in any mdisk stats about how much data is on it.  I just took a look at the ulist output,  that is helpful.  It at least gives me a total per server that I can use.  It still would be nice if CA can expand on some new cmds maybe that can report on a POOL usage.  The map give you % of a VOLUME and a POOL.  If a cmd could be entered to see POOL statistics like how much dasd is assigned to it, how much is used and free.

Thanks for the ULIST cmd I can use that now.

• 6.  Re: DASD Usage Reporting?

Posted Apr 11, 2018 09:26 AM

I'm glad ULIST output helps you a bit.  If you can spend a bit of time, you may be able to get what you are looking for by getting MAP output using the POOLS option for all the volumes.  You'd have to strip out heading lines and sort by pool within volume but you could possibly take the MAP output and use the data to give  you  what you are looking for.  I agree though that it would be nice to have a way to query DASD information by pool and have the ability to report on all pool usage (individually or for all pools at one time).