InterTest

View Only
  • 1.  Intertest Batch - display command - show data in character format?

Posted Oct 24, 2016 11:11 AM
      |   view attached

I am testing an assembler batch program within Intertest Batch. When using the "display field" command, is there a way to toggle (or display) the data in character format, as well as hex? It appears that hex is the default, which is good, but I was wondering if you can also display in character format. Perhaps I missed it, but the documentation did not appear to talk about it for display. Again, this is for the "display" command. See attachment example. Thank you.  

• 2.  Re: Intertest Batch - display command - show data in character format?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2016 05:47 PM

Hi John,

Unfortunately, there is no way to toggle the formats in the DISPLAY command from hex to character or character to hex. If you would like this functionally added to a future release of CA Intertest batch please open an idea in the community. This way other community members can vote on the idea.  Thank You, Bill 

• 3.  Re: Intertest Batch - display command - show data in character format?

Posted Oct 31, 2016 12:09 PM

I submitted a request for this improvement in 2004, first as DAR 13394592-2 and then again to the Testing Tools User Community "Suggestion Box".

We were told that CA is converting the DARs to Ideas, and we don't need to resubmit them. (Which would be difficult, because it no longer appears in a View Cases search.)

For the record what I submitted was:

When debugging assembler programs in CA-InterTest Batch, it only displays data fields as Hex. It is not using the actual field type to format the display. This occurs throughout the product; including the KEEP, DISPLAY and D, K line commands.

For example, given the following line from an assembler program:

0009D0 D207 DF44 E028 00FFC 00028  1078          MVC   RPVIMPSB,INQEPSB

and both fields are DS CL8

an Autokeep window displays:

18CFFF64 HX    000000 02 R13!+F44                     0000000000000000

18CFFBD0 HX    000000 02 R14!+28                      E6C9D4E7F5F3F0F0

There are two problems:

1. When a Keep is done implicitly or explicitly on a data name, the data name should should be displayed in the keep line. Otherwise the programmer doesn't know what data the keep line is for. (Note that the data name may also have an offset.  For example, if the code was MVC RPVIMPSB+5,INQEPSB then the offset would need to be displayed in the keep line.

1. Keeps and Displays should format the data according to the type of data name. For example,

DS/DC    Format as

A            address

B            bit string

C            character string

X            hex

F            binary fullword

H           binary halfword

P           packed decimal

etc.

(The binary and packed numbers should format as their decimal values, just as InterTest does for COBOL data items.)

If the programmer needs to see the actual hex contents of the field, they can do the Hex display command.

• 4.  Re: Intertest Batch - display command - show data in character format?

Posted Oct 31, 2016 12:51 PM

Thanks for your input, Michael. Your item #2 is what I was thinking as well. 

• 5.  Re: Intertest Batch - display command - show data in character format?

Posted Nov 09, 2016 03:54 PM

I just submitted this as idea "Assembler Data Field Display".