View/Deliver

View Only
  • 1.  "C" vs "DD" command to move Sysout from PTMP to PTAP status

Posted Jul 03, 2019 10:13 AM

Hi,

1. I am loading reports from Tape to Disk to index reports. It means space is increasing and unable to restore more reports unless report is put back in tape unless regular backup starts and that will go back based on HOLDTEMP.

My question is Instead of "DD" command to put back in reports in TAPE . Shall I use "C" clear command ? Is it same function?

Thanks,
    Nithiya N

• 2.  RE: "C" vs "DD" command to move Sysout from PTMP to PTAP status

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 03, 2019 02:13 PM
    Hello Nithiya,
    When you bring the report back from tape, it should show as being in PTMP status.
    It is on disk but still on tape also.
    If you issue the DD against it, it should go back to PTAP status.
    Here is the Online help for the 2 commands:
    DD - Deletes space allocated to disk or secondary disk for a SYSOUT if the
    SYSOUT also resides on tape. The SYSOUT on tape will NOT be deleted.

C - Invoke cleanup processing for the SYSOUT. Deletes a temporary disk
    copy of a SYSOUT without deleting its copy on tape or secondary disk.

Cleanup processing takes place when the backup cycle runs.

So using the DD command should free up the space for you and will not delete the tape copy.
    If you are seeing a different behavior ,we should open a case for you and we can research it.
    Let me know,
    Thanks,
    john

• 3.  RE: "C" vs "DD" command to move Sysout from PTMP to PTAP status

Posted Jul 03, 2019 03:36 PM
    Hi John,

Thanks for your reply . As you said , "DD" restores space . When I use "C" command , the sysout move to PTAP back and " sysout removed " message is issued.

Will it work  like "D" & sysout get deleted or SYSOUT get deleted permanently  from tape/database after backup runs. 

Is below just be in PTAP based on ERO retention periods until deleted permanently.

Example when "C" is used :

CA View ALL --------------- Sysout Selection List -------------- Sysout removed
    Sysout "TEST2" removed from temp and/or open status  

TEST2                    05/25/2018 08:30 PTAP (earlier PTMP)        110       7

• 4.  RE: "C" vs "DD" command to move Sysout from PTMP to PTAP status

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 03, 2019 05:10 PM
    Hi Nithiya,
    When you use the DD command, only the disk copy is deleted. The tape copy will stay on tape according to your normal retention.
    john