View/Deliver

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Are SARTAPES not automatically uncataloged following the merge of two or more SAR databases and the execution of SARPAC and why am I still getting SARBKT52 following the completion of my SARPACS?

• 1.  Are SARTAPES not automatically uncataloged following the merge of two or more SAR databases and the execution of SARPAC and why am I still getting SARBKT52 following the completion of my SARPACS?

Posted Dec 07, 2016 10:41 AM

Recently executed the MERGE process on three separate database configurations.  Following the successful merge process, SARPAC was executed to combine the SARTAPES from the two different DATABASES onto the new SAR DATABASE.  Still receiving SARBKT52 message (***Warning*** Run SARPAC to copy tapes following merge of databases) five days after the MERGE and SARPAC completed.  Also, all of the previously "SARPACED" tapes are still in the system catalog.  I've run SARTSLST on each of the merged databases and see approximately 5-6 of the old SARTAPES listed.  When I run SARPAC with the REPORT option, these "old" SARTAPES show that they are empty.

1.  Do the tapes that have been processed by SARPAC, as a result of the MERGE, have to be manually un-cataloged from the system catalog?

2.  How long will the SARBKT52 message continue to be issued?  (My assumption is that it will be issued until the SARTAPES that have been processed by SARPAC from the two merged databases have "rolled" off (I believe I this will occur through the normal course of the daily backup process that we run; approximately 5 cycles after the SARPAC executes.)

3.  The MERGE and SARPAC was performed on SATURDAY.  We have the days set for BACKUP to be Monday - Saturday at 1700.  The backup cycle did not execute on Monday, following the merge.  I issued the backup cycle (F SARSTC,NEW) yesterday at 1630 and then the normal backup executed at 1700.  Why wouldn't it have executed on Monday at 1700.  Is this something as a result of the MERGE?

• 2.  Re: Are SARTAPES not automatically uncataloged following the merge of two or more SAR databases and the execution of SARPAC and why am I still getting SARBKT52 following the completion of my SARPACS?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 07, 2016 12:44 PM

Hello Michael,

My name is Roxanne Richardson, I am with View/Deliver support; to answer your questions:

1.  Do the tapes that have been processed by SARPAC, as a result of the MERGE, have to be manually un-cataloged from the system catalog? 

Answer: No, they will be removed after the next Backup cycle has completed processing.

2.  How long will the SARBKT52 message continue to be issued?  (My assumption is that it will be issued until the SARTAPES that have been processed by SARPAC from the two merged databases have "rolled" off (I believe I this will occur through the normal course of the daily backup process that we run; approximately 5 cycles after the SARPAC executes.)

Answer:  The message indicates that the database contains references to tape volumes owned by another database, the result of a database merge. The message will  continue to be received until ALL the reports have been copied over to new tapes by SARPAC and the backup cycle has been run.

3.  The MERGE and SARPAC was performed on SATURDAY.  We have the days set for BACKUP to be Monday - Saturday at 1700.  The backup cycle did not execute on Monday, following the merge.  I issued the backup cycle (F SARSTC,NEW) yesterday at 1630 and then the normal backup executed at 1700.  Why wouldn't it have executed on Monday at 1700.  Is this something as a result of the MERGE?

Answer: I would need further details regarding this situation, please open an issue with the Support group for further research.