View/Deliver

View Only
  • 1.  Anyone know how to prevent a user from doing a LOAD of a large dataset from tape to disk.

Posted Dec 14, 2015 05:44 PM

We had a user LOAD a number of large sysoutsfrom tape to disk as PTMP and it caused the repository to hit 100%. Now looking for a way to prevent that from occurring without preventing smaller sysouts from being LOADed. One user tells me that on a previous release there was an exit that did this.

• 2.  Re: Anyone know how to prevent a user from doing a LOAD of a large dataset from tape to disk.
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 15, 2015 10:25 AM

Hello RudyII,

To conditionally grant access or not; or permit a Load or not; you will need to write a SARSRQUX (user exit).

We do not have an example that does exactly what you want but we have 4 examples of the SARSRQUX exit in the CVDEOPTN library that you can use as guides.

First you will check for the "L" command (see SARSRQU4) .  Then check the GCRLNES (see SARGCR in the CVDEMAC library)  variable for the number of lines in the report that you want to load back.  If the number of lines is above the limit you have chosen, then reject the request or change it to load into an external dataset.  The exit could also issue a message informing the user that the report is too large to load back to disk.

Regards,

Cheryl Stimpfl
    Principal Support Engineer

CA Technologies Technical Support

Tel:  +1-609-583-9671 Option 1Cheryl.Stimpfl@ca.com

• 3.  Re: Anyone know how to prevent a user from doing a LOAD of a large dataset from tape to disk.

Posted Dec 17, 2015 10:57 AM

Do you have EAS installed?   I use this as a means to control the size of my DBs and to prevent DBs reaching 100%.  I educate users to ALWAYS use 'S' on reports no matter the location of the report.  You can control what reports can use EAS in your ERO table if you are limited on the number of tape drives available.  Hopefully you have Virtual Tape.   The response time is pretty close to as if the report was on DASD.   If you have VTS make sure the View tapes are loaded in cache as long your VTS administrator will allow.  This along with the exit (could even add a force 'L' to use 'S' for large reports) Cheryl mentioned could give you everything you are looking for.