View/Deliver

View Only
  • 1.  How to free database space that has been added and will never be used?

Posted Jul 16, 2015 10:24 AM

Hello all!!

We have 5 databases for CA View across six volumes, each with multiple data SARDBASE.D0000001 - SARDBASE.D0000007 each about 25000 tracks.

A few of these databases no longer need all of the space which was added using the SARDBASE ADDDS utility.

Looking at the status of the database now in CA View Primary Selection Panel, the data is only 12% and will never get higher than 25%.

I am wondering, if we are using 12% of the 7 SARDBASE data files, is the data automatically compressed into the first few SARDBASE files? Or is the data scattered between all 7?

Looking in the Reference manual, I cannot seem to find a way to free up unused space, in each of data parts, can anyone recommend the best way I can free some space up?

Thank you very much!!

• 2.  Re: How to free database space that has been added and will never be used?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 16, 2015 11:54 AM

Hello Ray,

I am a Principal Support Engineer for CA View and CA Deliver.

To remove excess database space, follow this process:

1.     Stop all task accessing the CA View database including RMOSTC, SARSTC, SARFSS, SARXMS, SARVTAM, SARXTD, SAREAS, ETC

2.     Rename the database to ensure the database is unavailable for online access.

3.     Run the SARDBASE Unload job to unload the database to disk or to tape.

4.     Allocate a new smaller database with the original database name.

5.     Run the SARDBASE Load job to load the database into the newly allocated database.

Note:  if the unloaded database is on disk, run SARDBASE Copy to copy the database to the new database.  The Copy function is faster

than the Load function.

6.     Start all the tasks.

7.     Verify that the new database is functioning as expected.

8.     Delete the old database.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Best Regards,

Cheryl Stimpfl

Principal Support Engineer

CA Technologies Technical Support

Tel:  +1-609-583-9671

Cheryl.Stimpfl@ca.com

<mailto:Cheryl.Stimpfl@ca.com>

• 3.  Re: How to free database space that has been added and will never be used?

Posted Jul 17, 2015 08:12 AM

Hello Cheryl,

thank you very much for your rapid and detailed response!!!

I have taken note of this and will give it a try and let you know how I get on!

Thank you!!!

Ray

• 4.  Re: How to free database space that has been added and will never be used?

Posted Jul 31, 2015 10:00 AM

Hi Cheryl,

Depending on the size of the database, this may be a very time consuming procedure. It may take hours or even days.

In the meantime, Deliver should be stopped. Meaning that no batch jobs that produce reports should run.

Does an enhancement request to be able to defrag a CA-View database and remove a file from the CA-View database, makes sense?

Kind regards,

Geert

• 5.  Re: How to free database space that has been added and will never be used?

Posted Jul 31, 2015 10:16 AM

Hello Geert,

Our primary concern is the integrity of the database.  Your suggestion that the CA View database be defragmented without stopping all activity on the database could result in a loss of integrity in that database. 

Regards,

Cheryl

• 6.  Re: How to free database space that has been added and will never be used?

Posted Aug 04, 2015 03:52 PM

How about a command/feature to quiese or drain the extent and then a utility to identify reports that are on the extent, so they could be deleted and reloaded with SARPAC or SARBCH?  This would mimic JES spools and be helpful, I have needed the ability to shrink the database in the past as well.

• 7.  Re: How to free database space that has been added and will never be used?

Posted Aug 04, 2015 04:38 PM

That is a good suggestion.  You should post it on the Idea wall. 

• 8.  Re: How to free database space that has been added and will never be used?

Posted Aug 04, 2015 03:51 PM

How about a command/feature to quiese or drain the extent and then a utility to identify reports that are on the extent, so they could be deleted and reloaded with SARPAC or SARBCH?  This would mimic JES spools and be helpful, I have needed the ability to shrink the database in the past as well.