Workload Automation Agents

View Only
  • 1.  can a sun or linux agent go by two names ?

Posted May 07, 2021 12:18 PM
    Hello Forum,   another out-of-left-field question.   We have an app that has two linux boxes, we'll call ABC and XYZ that 'eventually'  will become a cluster but right now they are simply two separate distinct boxes and they want me to install a cybAgent on each.   Right now they are still deciding on what they are going to use as the VIP and alias name.
    I know it is illegal to code in one's agentparm.txt  more than one agentname=  line, but anyone know if it's legal to do something like this in the agentparm.txt
    agentname=ABC
    communication.alias_1=presumptive_cluster_aliasname
    even though said 'presumptive_cluster_aliasname' is not actually set up yet?

in the sun_job  would it be legal to  code either one, agent ABC or agent whatever value we used for communication.alias_1 ?  i.e. it would go by either name in the sun_job?

How would we code the agentdef file?  with AGENT ABC or with AGENT clustername? or either one would work?
    thanks

• 2.  RE: can a sun or linux agent go by two names ?

Posted May 07, 2021 12:39 PM

"even though said 'presumptive_cluster_aliasname' is not actually set up yet?" 

Yes you can do that, and what's listed below.

agentparm.txt
    agentname=ABC
    communication.alias_2=presumptive_cluster_aliasname2
    communication.alias_3=presumptive_cluster_aliasname3

Agent restart is required after updating the agentparm.txt

On the MF in the Agent Def I would code an agent ABC for the server ABC with address ABC and an agent for the Alias that uses the address of alias.

------------------------------
    Senior Systems Analyst
    UPS
    United States

• 3.  RE: can a sun or linux agent go by two names ?

Posted May 07, 2021 01:39 PM
    Hi Rick, I think I'm asking for the impossible but ya never now...1st, yes they have not yet decided on the clustername with it's virtual I.P. address we could point to, so until that is finally done, we'd run schedules on just one of the two nodes.
    So say on box ABC, given the agentparm.txt
    agentname=unix_ABC

Assuming I have only this one line in my ESP AGENTDEF file
    AGENT UNIX_ABC  ADDRESS(ABC.EXELON.COM) +

Could I code in my sun_job this:
    SUN_JOB envtest
    SCRIPTNAME /opt/cybagent/solaris/R11/cleanlogs.ksh
    AGENT unix_ABC

But you're saying in order to also allow this job to run :
    SUN_JOB envtest
    SCRIPTNAME /opt/cybagent/solaris/R11/cleanlogs.ksh
    AGENT presumptive_cluster_aliasname

I also would need to have coded in my ESP AGENTDEF this 2nd line
    AGENT UNIX_ABC  ADDRESS(presumptive_cluster_aliasname.exelon.com) +

Having both lines in AGENTDEF would allow me to NOT have to change the AGENT value in my sun_jobs?
    I could code AGENT ABC in the sun_job   and it would pick either of the two ADDRESSES but ultimately ESP would be talking to the one cybAgent?

• 4.  RE: can a sun or linux agent go by two names ?

Posted May 10, 2021 10:21 AM

A couple of points that may need clarification.

You need to update the agentparm.txt on both servers with the communication alias.

The address specified in the agent definition file for the Alias' agent definition is the VIP Address provided by the software or hardware that is in-between the MF and the servers that routes the AFM to the correct server.

Senior Systems Analyst
    UPS
    United States