CA 1 Flexible Storage

View Only
  • 1.  Question about CA-1 CTS Scratch Counts

Posted Apr 19, 2017 05:13 PM

Last year we changed our VTS Fast Ready Scratch categories from 7 days Expire (up to 7 days not guaranteed) to 3 days Expire Hold (3 days guaranteed).

Since that change was implemented, our CTS scratch counts are pretty much useless. On one LPAR we actually ran out of scratch tapes but CTS did not alert us because it though we still had plenty of scratch tapes.

I was wondering if you might have plans for adding a column to the CTS counts on the ‘VPM Pool Detail Panel’ called ‘Available’ – a count of tapes that are scratched in the TMC that are more than the guaranteed number of days past their expiration.

That is the only count that we would like to do alerts on.

• 2.  Re: Question about CA-1 CTS Scratch Counts
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 20, 2017 03:08 PM

First, I am happy to see a client taking advantage of the Volume Pool Monitor feature added to CA 1.

Second, what you are basically looking for (if I am not mistaken) is how to trigger a warning when the total number of scratch tapes MINUS the number of tapes scratched by the last 3 executions of TMSCLEAN is less than a specific value. Since the number of tapes scratch by TMSCLEAN are variables that can be reported upon, this would be possible to do by simply adding the ability to perform numeric calculations (which does not currently exist). At this time, there are no plans, so a new idea would have to be written. But an idea to add the ability to perform numeric calculations within an alert would be a good idea and something that might have other uses within the VPM component.

Russell 

• 3.  Re: Question about CA-1 CTS Scratch Counts

Posted Apr 20, 2017 04:14 PM

Russell,

Glad to hear that it sounds like it would be possible to do it.

Can I turn my question into an idea or do I have to make an idea from scratch?

Pamela

• 4.  Re: Question about CA-1 CTS Scratch Counts

Posted Apr 20, 2017 04:27 PM

It is not possible to convert a question into an idea.  Unfortunately I must request that you start from scratch.   

• 5.  Re: Question about CA-1 CTS Scratch Counts

Posted Apr 20, 2017 03:43 PM

Russell,

I think there is a definite need  for Pamela's  idea/request  to be accomplished , and soon.  With the advent of the TS7*** VTS devices and the ability to hold tape volumes from being reused for xx number of days within the VTS itself, it certainly renders  the scratch counts useless for sites that take advantage of VTS volume holds . CTS needs work in this area!  Looking forward to this being implemented , and soon! 

Mike.