CA 1 Flexible Storage

View Only
  • 1.  Scratch Single Label on Tape Volume

Posted Oct 20, 2017 06:35 AM

Hi,

We recently moved from Control -T to CA1 a few months ago so still new to the product. Can't seem to find anything in documentation or on the community forums on how to scratch a single label on a tape. 

Trying to scratch a single label (last one written) on a tape through the CA1 ISPF panels. I'm fine with expiring and scratching an entire volume looking for the same functionality for a single label on a volume.

If it's possible to do it with a BATCH job using one of the utilities that would be fine as well.

Regards,

Eugéne

• 2.  Re: Scratch Single Label on Tape Volume
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 20, 2017 09:50 AM

HI-

You can not scratch a file on a tape. You can only expire the files. The actual volume goes in scratch status and in CA1 when a tape scratches all the secondary files (DSNBs) are freed. 

Let me know if you have further questions. We can open a ticket and discuss further if need be.

thanks

Erica CA1 support

2144731431 support line.

• 3.  Re: Scratch Single Label on Tape Volume

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 20, 2017 12:50 PM

HI-

Also to expire or change EXPDT on a secondary file (DSNB) you can use TMSUDSNB.  TMSUPDTE is to update the volume record.  Those are the batch jobs so you don't have to update online through ISPF.

regards,

Erica ca 1 support

• 4.  Re: Scratch Single Label on Tape Volume

Posted Oct 26, 2017 10:14 AM

Also, to enhance on Erica's response - there IS an interface that will allow you to delete the last xx files on a volume within CA 1. CA 11 uses this interface for restart operations. For example, you have a job that creates 5 files on a tape and now need to "restart" that job at step 3 (creating file-3). Normally, you would not be allowed to recreate file-3 because files 4 and 5 already exist. With CA 11 however, you can restart the job at step-3 and CA 11 will interface to CA 1 so that files 3, 4 and 5 are all deleted and you can create a new file-3, 4 and 5 with the restarted job.

I only mention this because you had specifically asked about deleting the last file on a tape.

Russell Witt

CA 1 Architect