Endevor

View Only
  • 1.  How can I tell if I have SMF set up?

Posted Dec 06, 2019 10:11 AM
    ​​I tried to open a case yesterday, however I was not able to since in am still on v17, even though this question is Endevor-related, not version-related.  So, I am posting it out to the community.  Would anybody be able to help me get this information, please?  Thanks.

IT is doing an internal audit of our CA software.  One of the things that I have been asked is how are users created, tracked and managed.  Our users are created by IT Security and other groups, so I'm not concerned with that part.  I currently do no tracking or managing for users within Endevor.  I came across an article on the community bulletin board about getting a count of active users.  It mentions using the SMF report, I'm guessing #42.  I found the information below on SMF in the admin manual.  How can I determine if our Endevor was set up for SMF logging?  I'm assuming the setup for it is the same in v18 as it is in v17, so I am hoping that I can get this question answered.

SMF historical reports summarize security violations and Element activity recorded by CA Endevor® SCM. These reports are available when SMF logging is in use at your site and are generated using the SMF records written during CA Endevor® SCM processing. The following reports show Alter action activity:

https://community.broadcom.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=804996#bmd05e7b90-9b95-49dc-9f11-9d1e87ddcfac

------------------------------
    Monica Collins
    AAFES
    Texas

• 2.  RE: How can I tell if I have SMF set up?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2019 11:08 AM
    Hi Monica,

The option to record Endevor Activity is controlled in your C1DEFLTS - but perhaps the easiest way to check "now" is to use the Endevor Options Report.  If you add an EN$TROPT DD to any Endevor batch job, or simply issue the TSO ALLOC F(EN$TROPT) SYSOUT command, and then start Endevor, this report will be written to JES.  You can then browse that report and just do a search for the string "SMF" to see what record number is configured and which options are enabled.  It should look a bit like this;

image.png

Repeat find for ALL the SMF options, or share your C1DEFLTS or REPORT and we can confirm for you.

Note: Creating the SMF records is only the first step - you will need to check with your systems team what happens with those records.  Are they gathered up into daily/weekly/monthly sets.  Are they split by record number so for example you can request ALL your Endevor SMF data for the last n days/months?  Ideally this will be a pointer to a simple GDG for your data, but this could be a longer conversation if it's your first time.

Eoin.
    Eoin O'Cleirigh
    CA Technologies a Broadcom Company
    Sr Principal Software Engineer
    Broadcom | V Parku 2316/8 | Praha 4 | 148 00 
    Office: +420226207633 | Ext: 26133 | Mobile: +420775049833 | Eoin.OCleirigh@Broadcom.com

• 3.  RE: How can I tell if I have SMF set up?

Posted Dec 06, 2019 01:01 PM

Hi Monica,

The quickest and easiest way to tell if you have SMF recording turned on is to display your Endevor site information. From the Endevor primary option menu, select option 1 (Display) then option 3 (Site). If SMF recording is turned on then the SMF Record Number will be displayed on the Site Information panel.

Kevin

• 4.  RE: How can I tell if I have SMF set up?

Posted Dec 09, 2019 06:56 PM
    ​Hi Monica,
    the short answer is yes the set up for SMF is the same for all releases.  The most important step is verifying with your systems people is that the number In you C!DEFLTS (if one is coded) is known to the SMF recording facility.  Otherwise, you need to work with them to get the next available SMF number and put it in the SMFREC# field of the C1DEFLTS, then in the ENV section you turn on SMFACT and/or SMFSEC to cut records.  There once was a KD on the subject, but most of what you need to implement is in the ADMIN guide:

Enable SMF Recording

The SMF option records each action and each security violation that occurs during CA Endevor SCM processing. SMF recording is done on an Environment-by-Environment basis. Therefore, you can selectively enable SMF recording for each of your Environments. The SMF option can write out the following SMF records:

Security records- For each security violation, or each error that is returned from the security exit (exit 1).

Activity records- For each action executed, except for the following actions: Print, Display, Copy, and List. Activity records are written out at the end of action processing.

The administrator enables the SMF option in the Defaults table (C1DEFLTS). Per Environment, recording can be enabled for security records, activity records, or both.

Follow these steps:

1. Edit the SMFREC# parameter in the C1DEFLTS TYPE=MAIN macro to specify an SMF record number for for your site.

SMFREC#- Specifies the SMF record number assigned to SMF records written by CA Endevor SCM at this site. Default is 0, which disables SMF recording.

Talk to a systems programmer at your site to ensure that you are collecting the SMF records related to the record number specified in the SMFREC# parameter. Recording records is controlled in SYS1.PARMLIB(SMFPRMxx).

2. Edit the following parameters in the C1DEFLTS TYPE=ENVRNMNT.

SMFACT- Specifies whether to write SMF activity records for this Environment.

Y- Writes activity records for the Environment.

N- Does not write activity records for the Environment. Default is N.

SMFSEC- Specifies whether to write SMF security records for this Environment.

Y-Writes security records for the Environment.

N- Does not write security records for the Environment. Default is N.

3. Reassemble and link C1DEFLTS to activate the modifications.

Note: You can use the CSV utility to extract SMF record data corresponding to activity related to CA Endevor SCM actions or to security violations recorded by CA Endevor SCM. For more information, see the chapter Using the Comma Separated Value (CSV) Utility in the Utilities Guide.

Hope this helps!
    Karen

• 5.  RE: How can I tell if I have SMF set up?

Community Manager
    Posted Dec 10, 2019 10:06 AM
    @Monica Collins -- have the answers you've received here helped you? Can you come back to the community and let us know? 

Thanks! ​

Lenn Thompson
    Community Manager, Mainframe Division
    Broadcom Inc.
    lenn.thompson@broadcom.com

• 6.  RE: How can I tell if I have SMF set up?

Posted Dec 11, 2019 02:34 AM
    All the responses above are correct and just goes to show you can do the same thing in many ways.

I do have one thing to add..... 

The System SMF Dataset can be a very large beast, since it captures everything going on (not just Endevor Activity).
    Our Mainframe Team have a job that extracts certain SMF Record Numbers to specific Datasets to assist in reporting without everyone hitting the main System Dataset.
    We have asked them to extract our Endevor SMF Records as well.
    We then subsequently extract Only the Endevor Records and create our own SMF Datasets Daily (GDG's).
    At the end of the month, we merge all the daily files into a monthly (GDG) and Scratch all the Daily files.

So if we want to report on something recent, the daily GDG number should reflect the Date (day of the month), and if we need older data, we just concatenate as many monthly datasets as we need.

• 7.  RE: How can I tell if I have SMF set up?

Posted Dec 11, 2019 09:55 AM

Hi Arthur!  Excellent point!  We did that when I worked at for the Navy decades ago, after the daily's completed, everybody who wanted it had their records stripped off to their own GDG's.  then daily's rolled into weekly's and weekly's rolled into monthly's.

Karen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this email in error,
    please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. 
    This email transmission may contain confidential information.  This
    information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to
    whom it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.  Please delete it from
    your files if you are not the intended recipient.  Thank you for your
    compliance.  Copyright (c) 2019 Cigna
    ==============================================================================

• 8.  RE: How can I tell if I have SMF set up?

Posted Dec 11, 2019 04:41 PM
    ​Sorry I've taken so long to respond.  Yes, all of the information helped (and I learned something new).  It turns out we are not set up for SMF.  Thanks guys.

Monica Collins
    AAFES
    Texas