Endevor

View Only
  • 1.  REPORTING

Posted Nov 21, 2019 03:37 PM
    I need to run an SMF Report (42) to gather SMF information, but I need to link that up to the Package that caused those activities.  Does anyone know a way to get this information together in one place?​

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Felicity

• 2.  RE: REPORTING

Posted Nov 22, 2019 09:52 AM
    Seems to me the only way of getting what you want is to do 2 different CSV extracts and merge them together either in Excel or an upload to DB2 and using a SQL JOIN action based on a common field.

The 2 CSV extracts I suggest are the LIST SMF CSV and the LIST PACKAGE ACTION CSV. 

I have to admit that it is odd that the Package ID is not saved in the SMF record given its relation to audit requirements.......

Consultant
    John D Consulting Inc.

• 3.  RE: REPORTING
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 22, 2019 10:34 AM
      |   view attached
    Did a little more research into how one might merge these CSV files together and came across something called "POWER QUERY"... which is a free ADD-IN to Excel. I'm attaching a Help tutorial that should work in merging together those 2 extracts I mentioned...

Consultant
    John D Consulting Inc.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    power query.pdf   2.22 MB 1 version

• 4.  RE: REPORTING

Posted Nov 22, 2019 11:10 AM

Thanks again!

Felicity Vaughan 

• 5.  RE: REPORTING

Posted Nov 22, 2019 11:09 AM

Yep – that's what I came up with.  Just wanted to see if there was some other 'ultra clever' way to do this.  Thanks John.

Felicity Vaughan 

• 6.  RE: REPORTING

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 25, 2019 12:04 PM

There is an alternative for merging 2 or more CSV extracts for reporting. This alternative is provided by the use of the "Table Tool", and the report can be produced in one job. Everyone who owns Endevor, has the Table Tool.  

The output from the first CSV utility is formatted by Table Tool into a REXX stem array (a very cheap database-like structure). Then, the Table Tool step that reads the second CSV also fetches data from the REXX stem array, and affectively merges data from the two CSV outputs onto a report. ​

See Example #5 in the Table Tool Examples for a simple example, where a list of members is converted into a REXX stem arrary.

https://community.broadcom.com/mainframesoftware/communities/community-home/librarydocuments/viewdocument?DocumentKey=05418f74-32b8-4ca2-a777-7e4dd7ddc614&CommunityKey=592eb6c9-73f7-460f-9aa9-e5194cdafcd2&tab=librarydocuments

Below is another example, where Endevor package shipping CSV data is converted by Table Tool into a Rexx stem array.
    In this example, the output DSN=&&SHIPDATA is used as an input OPTIONS by a subsequent step.

//*---------------------------------------------------------------------
    //*-- Save Shipment info in a format for next step
    //*---------------------------------------------------------------------
    //STEP6 EXEC PGM=IRXJCL,PARM='ENBPIU00 A'
    //TABLE DD DSN=&&APISHIP,DISP=(OLD,DELETE)
    //SYSEXEC DD DISP=SHR,DSN=MYHLQ.ADMINT.REX
    // DD DISP=SHR,DSN=MYHLQ.ADMINP.REX
    //STEPLIB DD DISP=SHR,DSN=&STEPLIB
    //OPTIONS DD *
    $Table_Type = "CSV"
    //MODEL DD *
    Shipment.&PKG_ID = "&DEST_ID &RMT_MOVE_RC"
    //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
    //SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*
    //TBLOUT DD DSN=&&SHIPDATA,
    // DCB=(DSORG=PS,RECFM=FB,LRECL=80),
    // DISP=(NEW,PASS),
    // SPACE=(TRK,(1,1),RLSE)

• 7.  RE: REPORTING

Posted Nov 25, 2019 12:30 PM

Thanks very much.

Felicity Vaughan 

• 8.  RE: REPORTING

Posted Nov 25, 2019 01:59 PM
    The real problem is that Endevor Package data is only "point in time" data but the Endevor SMF data is historical data. Packages are not permanent; they can and they do change and important data is lost when a package is reset or deleted (other data is lost when a package is committed). Therefore, you can not assume that you can always get complete or accurate package information from the Endevor package reports, CSV, or API.

Another important issue to consider is the relationship between elements and packages.  Elements can be in many packages, and packages can contain many elements. There is no direct one-to-one relationship between an element and a package; it's a many-to-many relationship. So even if you have proper controls in place to ensure that packages are never reset or deleted, you still need to join or merge the Endevor element activity SMF data with the correct Endevor package data not based solely on the element inventory information but also based on the date and time.

SAS can MERGE observations from multiple datasets into a single dataset which you can then SORT and use to create detail and/or summary reports as needed.

A more complete and reliable method is to create your own Endevor package logging function with Endevor Exit 7 and then create some reports using that package logging data, or better yet, implement the Endevor End-to-End logging feature for all Endevor package actions and then feed the USS data into another application to create a dashboard or reports as needed.