Endevor

View Only
  • 1.  C for os/390

Posted Feb 26, 2020 02:31 PM
    ​Hi,

We have C for os/390 code in Endevor (some of which has been there a long time).  However, I'm suddenly running into issues with the external dataset sizes (which I know how to handle) AND the Type definitions.  For example we have the C390 Type defined as 1024 in one Environment and 256 in another.  Of course the 256 is in Prod, so I can't migrate anything to that and there is a lot of code in some areas.  Does anyone know what the maximum LRECL is for the C390 Type.  I assume there is one?

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Felicity

• 2.  RE: C for os/390

Posted Feb 27, 2020 01:29 PM
    ​Well, I have an answer and for anyone who wants to know, here's what I have:

The C compiler supports a maximum source input record length of 32K.    However, even though the compiler can handle a much larger LRECL, the ISPF editor HILITE feature doesn't support data lengths greater than 255 characters. Therefore, if none of the C and C++ elements have any non-blank data past column 255 then you could convert all the appropriate Endevor types and libraries to LRECL 255 so that the HILITE feature works in ISPF as it should. However, if any of the elements do have non-blank data that extends past column 255 then you will need to convert all of the types and datasets to the largest LRECL (and the HILITE feature will not work in ISPF).

Hope this may be helpful to somebody else.

Felicity

• 3.  RE: C for os/390

Posted Feb 27, 2020 01:33 PM
    Thanks for sharing the information Felicity! 👌

Phil Gineo
    Senior Systems Engineer
    Aetna / CVS Health
    Hartford Connecticut USA