Endevor

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading to COBOL 5.2

• 1.  Upgrading to COBOL 5.2

Posted Mar 08, 2019 01:10 PM

We are upgrading from COBOL 4.2 to 5.2.  I am currently working out the logistics of changing all of our PDS loadlibs to PDSE, which 5.2 needs to have in place.  Has anyone upgraded from 4 to 5 or 6?  What steps were involved other than converting libraries?  Did DB2 programs need to be rebound?

• 2.  Re: Upgrading to COBOL 5.2

Posted Mar 09, 2019 09:50 PM

Why not 6.2? All other things being equal, 6.2 would be better. We went from 4.x to 6.2. This is a substantial change, read the migration manual, test to make sure you got it right, and then communicate to everyone impacted what they need to know, including the compile and run time warning messages they need to eliminate and how to code the job card.

• 3.  Re: Upgrading to COBOL 5.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 11, 2019 06:20 AM

Mathew.

Three years ago there was a communication thread here on communities.ca.com on this topic( migrating to 5.1 it was). Here is link: 

https://communities.ca.com/message/241870367?et=watches.email.thread#comment-241870367 

In there you will find tips and hints and comments and a wecast provided:

Webcast Replay: COBOL V5 Migration Considerations [Feb. 25th] 

I hope you find this helpfull, even if you migrate directly to Cobol 6.

• 4.  Re: Upgrading to COBOL 5.2

Posted Mar 11, 2019 11:14 AM

I heard that IBM was going to discontinue support for 5.2  as of April 30, 2020 so I would strongly suggest you go with COBOL6.2.  I had heard that there were issues with V5 that has been addressed and sourced in COBOL6.  Plus what I like is that DEBUG file became a separate DD again rather than combining it in the LOAD MODULE, so that decreases the size of the PDSE needed. 

If you need some help with converting PDS to PDSE, Dan Walther has some tools that will help with this effort. Dan_Walther   use the Table Tool (ENBPIU00). See https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-231177846-table-tool-examples-8docx

1. Do a 3.4 to build a list of datasets, then say "SAVE MYLIST". This gives you a "table".
    2. You can then code an IEBCOPY step as in the example from Phon, or use REXX statements as your Model or OPTIONS.
    3. Submit your Table Tool job which then performs an allocate, copy and two renames for each file in your 3.4 list (MYLIST)

Hopefully that was a convincing enough to make you go with COBOL6.  Best of luck,

Phon

• 5.  Re: Upgrading to COBOL 5.2
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 14, 2019 09:52 AM

COBOL 6.2 is the way to go.  Get to be real good friends with your internal COBOL product manager/product support person.

• 6.  Re: Upgrading to COBOL 5.2

Posted Mar 14, 2019 10:07 AM

You should see these posts high up in your feed, hope they help.

• 7.  Re: Upgrading to COBOL 5.2

Posted Mar 27, 2019 11:52 PM

I would agree with going direct to 6.2

In regard to PDSE's, make sure you allocate them using Version 2

This became available after they worked out that Version 1 does not actually handle space management well (or something like that). You can see the Version Field in the Allocation Screen.

Data set name type   ,LIBRARY
    Data set version  . :,2,

• 8.  Re: Upgrading to COBOL 5.2

Posted Mar 28, 2019 11:32 AM

Thank you for this information.  I’ll be sure to do this.

Thanks ….

Monica Collins

IT Division Resource Tech

Information Technology Development Services

Army & Air Force Exchange Service

214-312-2353

collinsm@aafes.com<mailto:collinsm@aafes.com>

Visit our online store! www.shopmyexchange.com<http://www.shopmyexchange.com/>

• 9.  Re: Upgrading to COBOL 5.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 28, 2019 04:40 AM

Hi Monica,

Please look at https://support.ca.com/us/search.html?q=endevor%20cobol, we have written some document which could help you.

Regards,

Ollivier 

• 10.  Re: Upgrading to COBOL 5.2

Posted Apr 09, 2019 08:38 PM
      |   view attached

Attached is a REXX exec (in ASCII) that reads the CEEMSG data set of the CICS region started task(s) for the three runtime warning messages enabled by the NUMCHECK and PARMCHECK options. The displayed messages can be filtered by their date.

For version 6.2 we compile twice in the entry stage, once with INITCHECK without creating an object module, and again with NUMCHECK and PARMCHECK, to enable all four warning messages that need to be eliminated. Then we compile a third time in a subsequent stage without NUMCHECK and PARMCHECK because those two options slow the execution of the program.

Attachment(s)

zip
    SDSFCBL6.txt.zip   1 KB 1 version