CA Endevor

Expand all | Collapse all

Endevor - Where are we at and what should I do?

• 1.  Endevor - Where are we at and what should I do?

Posted 08-07-2018 10:54 AM

So.... there's a lovely web recording that was posted in May 2018 that indicates Endevor r18 is "GA complete". 

Updating the Endevor releases for the sites I'm responsible for is a complex and labour-intensive process. Embracing the "agile development release" process currently being followed by the Endevor development team is absolutely out of the question for a vast variety of reasons not the least of which is the exposure to constant churn of changes in my user community. The second reason involves the incredibly labour-intensive process to pass upgrades to production that would require applying "incremental fixes" as my full-time job; which it's not! 

So that said, 1 set of sites encompassing about 6 different LPARs is currently sitting at 18.0.0 and the other set of sites encompassing about 13 LPARs is currently sitting at 18.0.3. 

My "main" focus is re-engineering/re-architecting/re-designing/re-implementing Endevor across the LPARs to follow a common image of which a working prototype now exists across all the LPARs. When I started this initiative, Endevor was at R16 and I upgraded the 6 LPAR image to 18.0.0 while the other 13 LPAR images were handled by someone else that happened to swallow up 3 incrementals that happened to be available when they did it.

Now my question:

1) Given that Endevor r18 is "GA Complete" and includes double-digit incrementals (is it 12 or 13? I forget...), should I go through the effort of upgrading to Endevor r18.0.12/13/whatever? 

OR

2) Are we at the point where a pregnant Endevor is about to be announced giving birth to it's first of another churn of incrementals but where (as I understand it) Endevor r19 is based on the last incremental of Endevor 18 but becomes the baseline for all incrementals from that point forward?

If I choose (1), go through the effort of upgrading to r18.0.xx and then, either during the process or shortly thereafter, r19.0.0 is announced... well... I'm not going to be very happy...  

So where are we at? Is r19 (based on r18,0.xx) about to be launched? Is it still months away?

I WAS going to raise this as a sev-4 issue, but I figured there are probably plenty of other sites wondering the same thing....

• 2.  Re: Endevor - Where are we at and what should I do?

Posted 08-10-2018 05:37 AM

Agree John, since going GA complete in May CA have been very quiet about the current road map. 

• 3.  Re: Endevor - Where are we at and what should I do?

Posted 08-15-2018 11:04 AM

Times up. Sev-4 issue opened....