Endevor

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Ideation Voting? 

Philip Gineo

Philip GineoSep 26, 2018 01:05 PM

• 1.  Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 25, 2018 02:31 PM

Does it even make sense anymore to vote on ideation posts?  The voting number are very low, at least in the CA Mainframe DevOps Community.  Since the voting numbers are so low, I wouldn't think the voting numbers are used by CA to determine what items to work on.  What are your thoughts?   

• 2.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 08:25 AM

I think it does. 

IMHO, the reason "some" ideas get very few votes is because the request is too esoteric, unique to a certain site, or states a solution instead of the problem. Without understanding the problem, I seldom vote for a solution/idea. 

As much as possible, I try to begin my idea submissions as a "user story" since it forces me to identify the "WHAT" I have a problem with rather than the "HOW" which may suggest something that is too unique for general support.  

• 3.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 10:38 AM

I suppose the question is how would you prioritize them if not by votes?

• 4.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 01:05 PM

Correct Ed!

• 5.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 10:53 AM

Since this system has replaced DAR voting, I like the idea of continuing to have an open system of voting and comments for Ideas. Whether or not the idea is implemented, we can see the level of interest. As for the low votes, perhaps not everyone has email notification turned on. Maybe CA, or the User Group President can send a quarterly summary via their ICYMI channel to encourage feedback and voting.

• 6.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 11:04 AM

You bring up an extremely good point about the old process, Dana. There used to be a more proactive user engagement in the old DAR process whereby user groups participated in the urgentness or priority of different DARs that were being considered for an upcoming release. With the decline of actual physical user group meetings, I suppose that old process just was no longer supportable. 

I suppose the "ideation" model with voting being followed now is meant to replace that "Top 10 DARS" process. 

Regardless, I suppose (know? ) in the end it's CA's decision on what does and doesn't go into a release regardless of number of votes or where the idea came from. 

• 7.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 11:29 AM

While voting makes sense to keep; kind of gives you a sense and understanding of the reach and impact, I don't think Voting alone should matter to prioritize and keep/drop an idea. Some of the ideas are more intuitive and really makes sense to have it as a product in this era where there is so much changing and such quick turnaround, while it takes for ever to see them productized in some cases as I have seen it. 

It is kind of discouraging when somebody just kills an Idea when there are less votes. I personally don't like the idea of ignoring an idea because there was less votes? I think it all needs to be looked at from its face value. 

• 8.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 02:19 PM

I agree Venky, all ideas should be reviewed, with so few votes then any idea might be something worth delivering even if it doesn't have many votes.

• 9.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 01:21 PM

I think the entire ideation process/platform needs to be modernized.  Input from CA and CA customers is a critical part of building a new modern ideation process/platform.  I'm not an expert in Agile, however I think there may be an opportunity to manage ideation requests using Agile methodologies.

• 10.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 02:27 PM

Maybe someone could go through the existing ideas and re-write them as proposals, grouping together certain ideas into packages that could be worked on in a single sprint. 

Having ideas standardised would help in comparing them, also you could have arranged sessions to obtain feedback on these packages. 

• 11.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 02:48 PM

I think that's a great idea Ed, It fits nicely as a requirement into a modernized ideation process/platform as described in my above comment.

• 12.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 03:03 PM

Not to be pedantic or anything, but you've just described the role of the product manager/product owner...  

• 13.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 03:16 PM

I shared this post with the CA Champions Community,  so CA and CA Champions can see what's being discussed here.

• 14.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 26, 2018 03:58 PM

Would be nice if the CA ENDEVOR Development team or the SCRUM Master could create a distro list of every user that has voted in the past year, get a list of all the ideas with a brief description, email the list tell to the distro, the recipient you have 3 weeks to vote, using the DAR voting principle. The number of votes is based on the number of replies they get back. Seems like with a DAR we had weights, 0 - 5 with 5 having the having the highest weight and 0 we don't want it. Tally it all up. the Idea with the most weight goes on the list first, then 4, etc.

This is my suggestion. 

• 15.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2018 04:12 PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to chime in with what we are doing so there is transparency in the process.  We absolutely are reviewing all the Ideations that are created on a regular basis and the ones with the most votes are the ones we look at first.  We also need to consider the effort against the votes (sometimes there is low hanging fruit so to speak, sometimes the idea is much more complex).  We also realize it may take time for an idea to get votes, so we try not to jump right on them until there has been some time for the community to react.  Once we've done all that, we pull them into our backlog and have them in an "Ideation" bucket feature that we regularly review and use to promote ideas to actual sprint work after the team estimates the effort.  Some of them get implemented as part of a broader feature and they may not look exactly as the idea was proposed after we validate with customers, look at exactly how we can make things work in the current architecture, etc. 

Hope that helps - feedback on this is welcome!

• 16.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 27, 2018 06:20 PM

CA Communities is where enhancement requests go to die.

The DAR voting process you refer to didn't work either. The problem is it assumed there was a user group associated with every product, which was not true. No user group, no votes, so the enhancement request got no traction.

• 17.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 28, 2018 12:29 PM

Would it be possible to have the Package 70 71 and 72 to allow the use of selecting  of  a specific ENVIRONMENT?   We   get requests from AUDIT to provide quarterly reports for all packages that caused moves to PRODUCTION.. These reports show all Environments within Endevor for the specific line of business we are running reports on. We have many Environments within the lines of business creates huge reports that makes it very difficult  for Audit to search for PRODUCTION packages.

• 18.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 28, 2018 03:36 PM

Ray will be creating an ideation post on his comment above. 

• 19.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 28, 2018 03:34 PM

I think the handful of comments attached to this post can be a good start to requirements gathering for modernizing the ideation process/platform.  I'm thinking maybe a new community can be created to collaborate on ideation.  Besides online posting/comments, the ideation community can meet periodically via WebEx to discuss ideation topics.  Not sure who "owns" the overall ideation process/platform at CA, but for sure that group would be very active in the ideation community along with CA product owners/managers, CA Community Managers, CA Champions and CA customers.  Thoughts?

• 20.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Posted Sep 28, 2018 04:10 PM

I can say that I don't do a good job of upvoting Ideas because I don't monitor the Communities closely.

What would help is if there was a way to subscribe to Ideas posts in a particular Place for a particular category.  Even better is if you could say you just want to get an email for new ideas posted.

It looks to me like "Follow" will follow the entire Place, but the way CA organizes the products, that's too broad. For example, if I followed DevOps I'd be notified of products I don't use.

(Another reason I don't upvote is when don't understand the Idea. The Ideas are not always written to clearly explain what the current situation is, what the Idea is for changing how the product works, what the expected results are, and how that would be a benefit.)

• 21.  Re: Ideation Voting? 

Community Manager
    Posted Oct 01, 2018 11:29 AM

Michael,

You're absolutely right that being able to pick a single product or just ideation would be helpful. At this point, the platform that we use doesn't offer this option, but there are ways to workaround it via RSS feeds. Not ideal, but some have found it helpful. 

Community GO! Following Via RSS Feeds