Endevor

View Only
  • 1.  What is an 'Package Output' component?

Posted Dec 01, 2016 09:26 AM

When shipping the manual says that 'Package Outputs' are shipped, what counts as a package output? Monitored components only or does the package itself track outputs? Maybe it's done on Footprints?

• 2.  Re: What is an 'Package Output' component?

Posted Dec 01, 2016 11:36 AM

The short answer would be "anything that was written to or created by Endevor during the processing of the element". So, monitored output libraries in your processors (MOVE or GENERATE) is generally what it's talking about.

• 3.  Re: What is an 'Package Output' component?

Posted Dec 02, 2016 03:15 AM

So what about non-monitored output libraries? I could just test it but I was hoping someone might know off the top of their head. I was only asking as I was describing shipping to an apprentice and wasn't sure myself.

• 4.  Re: What is an 'Package Output' component?

Posted Dec 02, 2016 09:28 AM

Well, now, THAT'S an interesting question! The documentation is a tad vague on this issue... as in it is not addressed at all! It seems from the documentation that Package Ship just uses information captured at initial package execution time but there's no hint as to whether or not ACM is playing a role as the secret sauce that makes it all work.

I guess we can wait for an answer in this forum or you could raise a SEV-4 case with CA and actively get them to provide an answer.

Frankly, I'm curious now as well. I just assumed one would always monitor their outputs so it never occurred to me "not" to and then wonder about shipping et al.

• 5.  Re: What is an 'Package Output' component?

Posted Dec 02, 2016 10:01 AM

We do monitor all of our outputs now, but with some of our legacy systems this isn't always the case.

• 6.  Re: What is an 'Package Output' component?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 02, 2016 09:47 AM

Package ship is unique.  yes, as John stated you set up elements that you want to send to a remote location or to a local site (shared dasd).  the only way anything can be shipped is to have a backout member created.  

the major requirement is that the last action that is run in a package have backout enabled

There are many types that can be shipped:

source code - only thru a source output library (we create the backout automatically).  

all other type elements create backout during a move

object code

load modules 

binds control cards

with the newer releases you can write a script in the processor to allow a bind (for example) to be executed after the ship is complete.

does this help clarify what ship is doing?

• 7.  Re: What is an 'Package Output' component?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 10:58 AM

If you display the package you will see an option  - B  - Display Data Set Backout Info ; that is what you are speaking about "'for Package Outputs' are shipped, what counts as a package output" ; however in the processor you can have an option to BACKOUT=N so it will NOT generate a backout module.  Otherwise, when you Enable a Backout and the process creates an output that is what is eligible for shipment.

my 2 cents,

Phon

• 8.  Re: What is an 'Package Output' component?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 11:48 AM

Phon  / John / Edward -

I worked with the developer who wrote the original package ship code.  this was before component validation.  The ship only required backout to be enabled.  The output that is created in a package (what ever you want) must have a backout member created. As the product has grown so has the complexity, but the basics are still there - acm not required and backout is still required.

Option B will just show you the backout that is created. No backout no ship.

BACKOUT                                      
    MEMBER      STATUS     DATE        TIME  DSNAME              
    SR010                               20NOV16 13:55  BST.TESTCASE.LOADLIB2
    SR010                               20NOV08 13:55 BST.TESTCASE.LISTING2
    SR012                               20NOV08 13:55 BST.TESTCASE.LOADLIB2         

if you do a BX you will see the following:

Member              Dataset Name                  
    SR010               BST.TESTCASE.LOADLIB2         
                                           SR010    0000000000000000
    SR010               BST.TESTCASE.LISTING2         
                                           SR010    0000000000000000
    SR012               BST.TESTCASE.LOADLIB2         
                                           SR012    0000000000000000

if you see all zeros - indication that the element did not exist prior to the ship

if you see all hex    - indication that the element did exist prior to the ship

Paul Lewis

Endevor Support

• 9.  Re: What is an 'Package Output' component?

Posted Dec 15, 2016 08:28 AM

And if I can throw in a penny's worth of opinion.... it's time for Package Ship to be looked at for re-engineering that encompasses:

1) No need for backout

2) Specific SCL actions to make unique "delivery packages". In other words "package SHIP" SCL, not requiring a package that was used to MOVE or GENERATE (or DELETE) elements at a specific stage