Gen EDGE

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Build Tool Error

• 1.  Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 10, 2020 10:55 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello there everyone,

I am trying to build a model to test a new installation, and I get the following error

cl -c -W3 -MD -D_AFXDLL -nologo -DWIN32 -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -D_DLL -Fo"C:\Models\ppd_dev.ief\c\OBJS\PPD01.OBJ" "C:\Models\ppd_dev.ief\c\PPD01.C"

'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x1'
    Stop.

The strange thing I see here is that (if you check the attached output), CL.EXE file is found.

Please advise on how to solve the issue.

Regards,

Marios

Attachment(s)

txt
    PPD01.txt   2 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Build Tool Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 12, 2020 06:09 PM

Hello @Marios Tofarides
    This does sound very strange.
    I checked your PPD01.txt BT output file.
    ===
    C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Gen85\Gen>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\\bin\java.exe "   -classpath "C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Gen85\gen\bt\bt.jar" com.ca.gen85.bt.Execute  "C:\Models\ppd_dev.ief\c\PPD01.bat"C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Gen85\Gen>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\\bin\java.exe "   -classpath "C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Gen85\gen\bt\bt.jar" com.ca.gen85.bt.Execute  "C:\Models\ppd_dev.ief\c\PPD01.bat"
    Initial search for build executables 
    NMAKE.EXE, PROC.EXE, CL.EXE, LINK.EXE, RC.EXE
    --- Found NMAKE.EXE
    --- Found PROC.EXE
    --- Found CL.EXE
    --- Found LINK.EXE
    --- Found RC.EXE
    Operating System: WINDOWS
    "Database Manager: ORACLE"
    Environment: IEFAE
    Language: C
    Codepage: 1253
    Model: DEV PPD PRODUCT PACKAGE DISCOUNT
    Subset: ALL
    Level: 9.2.A6.01
    Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 11.00.50727.1
    ...Compiling PPD01 - PPD01...Compiling PPD01 - PPD01 cl -c -W3 -MD -D_AFXDLL -nologo -DWIN32 -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -D_DLL -Fo"C:\Models\ppd_dev.ief\c\OBJS\PPD01.OBJ" "C:\Models\ppd_dev.ief\c\PPD01.C"
    '
    cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x1
    ===

I see you are using Gen 8.5 and the line "Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 11.00.50727.1" indicates you have Visual Studio 2012 (version 11) installed - is that correct?
    The BT scripts (specifically callvsvars.scr) uses the appropriate VS environment variable, based on BT token value OPT.VSVERSION, to setup the VS environment.
    For VS 2012 it would be using environment variable VS110COMNTOOLS and calling "%VS110COMNTOOLS%vsvars32.bat"​. That bat file then ensures all required executables like cl.exe are in the PATH.

VS 2012 support for Gen 8.5 came in post Gen 8.5 GA release IR1.
    As this is a new installation can you please:
    a. Confirm you have the latest Gen 8.5 IR3 PTF WKS85003 installed?:
    https://support.broadcom.com/us/product-content/recommended-reading/technical-document-index/ca-gen-8-5-solutions-patches.html
    b. Confirm you have set OPT.VSVERSION=VS2012 in the BT profile?
    c. Upload the complete "ppd_dev.ief" directory (zipped) to this post? If you do not want to provide the .dat files maybe you can just upload ""ppd_dev.ief\c\" zipped?
    d. Run these commands from a command prompt at the root of the C:\ drive and upload the 2 .out files created.
    set > set.out
    where /r C:\ cl.exe > cl.out

Thanks

Lynn

------------------------------
    Lynn Williams
    Senior Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    Australia

• 3.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 13, 2020 03:53 AM
    Hey Lynn,

Thanks for the support.
    I confirm that VS2012 is installed
    I also confirm that WKS85003 and WKS85004 are installed.
    OPT.VSVERSION is set to VS2012
    Files uploaded, I couldn't upload c files. It's a 6 MB file

Regards,

Marios

Attachment(s)

txt
    cl.txt   212 B 1 version
    txt
    set.txt   2 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 13, 2020 08:11 AM
    Lynn,

Also, when I try to execute the "cl" command on the command prompt, It runs. I get the following error:
    cl -c -W3 -MD -D_AFXDLL -nologo -DWIN32 -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -D_DLL -Fo"C:\models\BDS_DEV.ief\c\OBJS\BTS01.OBJ" "C:\models\BDS_DEV.ief\c\BTS01.C"
    BTS01.C
    C:\models\BDS_DEV.ief\c\BTS01.C(392) : fatal error C1034: string.h: no include path set
    Regards,

Marios

• 5.  RE: Build Tool Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2020 11:16 PM
    Hi Marios,
    The BT will setup all required environment variables including INCLUDE based on the version of VS installed by calling "%VSxxxCOMNTOOLS%vsvars32.bat", plus it will add anything required for the Gen build.

From your cl.out file which finds cl.exe in "c:\Program Files (x86)\MsVS11.0\"  I see you have installed Visual Studio in a non standard location.
    I don't think that in itself should be a problem. However from your set.out file your VS110COMNTOOLS is not assigned to 1 single directory which it should be i.e. it is defined as:
    VS110COMNTOOLS=C:\Program Files (x86)\MsVS11.0\Common7\Tools\;c:\Program Files\MsVS11.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\MsVS11.0\VC\bin\;
    VS110COMNTOOLS should just be set to the VS "Common7\Tools\" directory i.e.it should be:
    VS110COMNTOOLS=C:\Program Files (x86)\MsVS11.0\Common7\Tools\

Please change that variable and restart Toolset and Build Tool for another build test.
    If problem still persists please upload the files: PPD01.out, PPD01.tgt, PPD01.mak

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lynn

Lynn Williams
    Broadcom
    Australia

• 6.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 14, 2020 03:41 AM
    Hey Lynn,

I tried to run vsvard32.bat, and I get the following error
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\MsVS11.0\Common7\Tools>vsvars32.bat
    The system cannot find the path specified.
    ERROR: Cannot determine the location of the VS installation."

I tried to build again and I got the same error. Please find attached the following files

Regards,

Marios

Attachment(s)

txt
    PPD01.out.txt   2 KB 1 version
    txt
    PPD01.tgt.txt   3 KB 1 version
    txt
    PPD01.MAK.txt   149 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 14, 2020 04:37 AM
    Hey Lynn,

I fixed the issue with the location of the VS installation.
    Now I have an issue with the .NET Framework 32bit Installation.

System Parameters FrameworkDir32, FrameworkVersion32 and Framework35Version (and possibly some others) are not defined.

Is there a way to do this automatically, with a patch?

Regards,

Marios

• 8.  RE: Build Tool Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2020 07:56 PM
    Edited by Lynn Williams Jul 15, 2020 02:39 AM
    Hi Marios,
    What you describe appears to be VS related and not related to CA Gen itself, so there is no Gen patch.
    When the vsvars32.bat is executed it creates new and updates existing environment variables. Those variables include:
    Framework35Version
    FrameworkDir
    FrameworkDIR32
    FrameworkVersion
    FrameworkVersion32

If those variables are causing problems then it would appear your VS 2012 install still has some problems e.g. vsvars.bat is perhaps not in sync with the install directory(ies) you chose.
    Perhaps the quickest option to resolve all the problems is to uninstall VS 2012 and reinstall it using the default directory location?

Hope it helps

Regards,

Lynn

Lynn Williams
    Broadcom
    Australia

• 9.  RE: Build Tool Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2020 02:39 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Marios,
    I also just did a clean install of Visual Studio Professional 2012 (using default directory) under a Gen 8.5 WKS85003 environment and with BT token OPT.VSVERSION=VS2012 my Gen 8.5 sample model Windows cooperative server build was successful.
    My VS110COMNTOOLS environment variable is set as follows:
    VS110COMNTOOLS=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\Tools\

I am also attaching a zip file containing my version of vsvars32.bat so you can compare to yours.
    Also in the zip file are files set1.out and set2.out which are set command outputs before and after manually running "%VS110COMNTOOLS%vsvars32.bat" from a command prompt.

Hope it helps

Regards,

Lynn

Lynn Williams
    Broadcom
    Australia

Attachment(s)

zip
    vs2012.zip   4 KB 1 version

• 10.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 15, 2020 03:12 AM
    Hey Lynn,

I tried to uninstall and reinstall, but It didn't work. 
    There was a path error, various files couldn't;t be found in the PATH.
    So I'm reverting back to the previous - nonstandard installation directory.

Regards,

Marios

• 11.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 16, 2020 05:35 AM
    Hey Lynn,

I would like to open a support ticket for this issue. I am aware that the company helped us with CA Gen 8.5 Installations in Windows 7.
    Can you provide me with a link to open a support ticket?

Regards,

Marios

• 12.  RE: Build Tool Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2020 10:13 AM
    To open a Gen support case:
    1. Got to the support site: 'https://support.broadcom.com/' and login (or register)
    2. Select the 'Mainframe Support' link
    3. Select the 'Case Management' link to open and status cases.

Once the case is open, Lynn or someone on our Gen Support Team will review it.  Please document your latest/current problem and attach any supporting files to the case.

• 13.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 17, 2020 01:26 AM
    Hi Steve,

I followed your instructions.
    1. I Selected "Case Management", and I got the message "You don't have any sites to access. Please Click Here to raise Site Access Request."
    2. I Clicked and I entered the Site Id/Serial Number requested.
    3. After clicking on Submit, I received a message that "Your account was upgraded"
    4. I returned to the Support Portal, and when I select "Case Management" again, I get the "you don't have any sites to access" message.

Did I miss something? Is there anything else I can do?

Regards, 

Marios

Senior IT Officer
    CYTA

• 14.  RE: Build Tool Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 17, 2020 01:36 AM
    Edited by Lynn Williams Jul 17, 2020 01:37 AM

Hi Marios,
    There may be a delay in the authorisation process.
    You might be able to request it be processed faster if you call our Customer Care team.
    The global contact numbers are here: https://www.broadcom.com/support/software/contact

However coming back to creating a support case. Your problem seems to be 100% related to your Visual Studio 2012 installation and is unrelated to CA Gen 8.5 itself, so it is really Microsoft you should be speaking to I think.
    You can create a Gen support case, but I am not sure how much more we can suggest than what I have suggested above.
    Have you tried to use the my Framework variable information I suggested below?

Regards,

Lynn

Lynn Williams
    Broadcom
    Australia

• 15.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 17, 2020 02:12 AM
    Lynn,

The exact same setup I used for Windows 10, works with Windows 7 and Gen 8.5 Installations.
    I am opening a support case with CA because I was informed that there was a patch developed specifically for our installations by CA for Windows 7  regarding paths and variables, and I want to check what this patch consists of.

Regarding the support authorization, are you aware of whether approval from a colleague inside our organization is required?

Regards,

Marios 

Senior IT Officer
    CYTA

• 16.  RE: Build Tool Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 17, 2020 02:31 AM
    Edited by Lynn Williams Jul 17, 2020 02:41 AM
    Hi Marios,
    I think there is normally a designated site Administrator who may have to approve your request.

Regarding "I was informed that there was a patch developed specifically for our installations by CA for Windows 7 regarding paths and variables, and I want to check what this patch consists of".
    So you have the same official 8.5 patches installed on the non-working Windows 10 machine that you have on the working Windows 7 machines?
    If there is a still a difference do you know if the "patch developed specifically for our installations" could have been from a CA Gen consultant i.e. it is not one of the published PTFs?

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn Williams
    Broadcom
    Australia

• 17.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 16, 2020 06:11 AM
    Lynn,

Can you also please send me your PC's value to those variables in order to try and set them manually to see if it works?

Regards,

Marios

Senior IT Officer
    CYTA

• 18.  RE: Build Tool Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2020 06:22 PM

Hi Marios,
    The Framework variables are only set after running "%VS110COMNTOOLS%vsvars32.bat" .
    In the vs20102.zip file I attached above is my vsvars32.bat file and the environment variable dumps before (set1.out) and after (set2.out) I ran vsvars32.bat from a commad prompt, so you can see the Framework variable values either via the vsvars32.bat or the set2.out.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lynn 

Lynn Williams
    Broadcom
    Australia

• 19.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 17, 2020 01:27 AM
    OK Lynn, thanks :)

I will check it out and get back to you if needed.

Regards,

Marios

Senior IT Officer
    CYTA

• 20.  RE: Build Tool Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 17, 2020 02:57 AM
    Hi Marios,

I'm Christian Kersters, from Broadcom Mainframe Services. I worked a few times, years ago, for CyTA.

We can set up a webex session to investigate your problem and your setup in more depth. What about Monday? I'm available the whole day.

Kind regards
    Christian

Christian Kersters

• 21.  RE: Build Tool Error

Posted Jul 17, 2020 03:28 AM
    Hi Christian,

Yes, please! We can arrange it anytime up until 3 pm Cyprus Time (12:00 GMT). Preferably in the morning.
    Please pick a time suitable for you.

Regards,

Marios

Senior IT Officer
    CYTA