Gen EDGE

View Only
  • 1.  Volunteers Needed: Beta Testing Generator APIs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 11:28 AM

CA Gen will soon have new APIs for our Toolset generators. We are looking for beta testers to give us feedback on functionality and quality. Are you available?

Who: CA Gen customers interested in leveraging Toolset generator* APIs.

• Windows Manager (GUI) 
      • Server Manager
      • Proxies
      • Batch Manager
      • Dialog Manager
      • Map

*Note: Your experience will be limited to the generators for which you already have licenses. 

When: A beta version will be available within the next couple weeks. 

How to sign up: EMAIL ME Kim.Peelman@broadcom.com. I'll make sure you're a member of the CA Gen project on Validate.Broadcom.com.

What to expect:

1. When the beta version is ready, I'll upload it to Validate.broadcom.com and message you.
      2. You will sign into your Validate.broadcom.com account and go to your CA Gen project.
      3. You will access the beta package in the Resources>Pre-Release Drops section in the left menu.
      4. You will be able to submit feedback in Validate (left menu) or email Kim.Peelman@broadcom.com

What is an API?

An API (Application Programming Interface) is a software intermediary that enables two applications to communicate with each other. They provide a set of definitions, creating a standardized way of communicating between, without developers having to know how the other system exactly works. Through APIs, developers gain access to functionality, which then can easily be used in their own applications.

Benefits of CA Gen Toolset Generator APIs

• Automation Enablement: Through APIs you can connect automated engines to the generators, like those for testing, deployment, external services, or CI/CD pipelines.
        • Information Access: An application layer can be created to distribute information to other sources of your choice, easily and efficiently.
        • Customization: You can create your own custom interface that taps into the power of CA Gen generators.  
        • Consistent Delivery: Scriptable generation of Gen applications without using the Toolset. 

Note: These are JavaAPIs that generate from the Toolset, not from the CSE.

------------------------------
        Kim Peelman
        Product Owner, CA Gen
        Broadcom
        Plano,TX

• 2.  RE: Volunteers Needed: Beta Testing Generator APIs

Posted May 26, 2020 07:26 PM
        Excellent news Kim, thank you.  I've just reached out to you and look forward to seeing this.

Very positive steps.

Response Systems

• 3.  RE: Volunteers Needed: Beta Testing Generator APIs

Broadcom Employee
        Posted May 27, 2020 06:55 PM
        Edited by Kim Peelman May 27, 2020 07:07 PM
        Thanks, Daniel! I saw your message last night, and it totally made my day, which is saying a lot since it was my birthday!

Kim Peelman
        Product Owner, CA Gen
        Broadcom
        Plano,TX

• 4.  RE: Volunteers Needed: Beta Testing Generator APIs

Broadcom Employee
        Posted May 27, 2020 01:58 AM
        Hi Kim,

Looks like a good news, indeed. As those are Java APIs, I suspect they will be linked to GenStudio.

What about the (long awaited) checkout expansion API? (If you expect use of those Generator APIs to be used in CICD, the first step is certainly checkout from some encyclopedia).

Christian

Christian Kersters

• 5.  RE: Volunteers Needed: Beta Testing Generator APIs

Broadcom Employee
        Posted May 27, 2020 07:07 PM
        Christian,
        I'm glad you're enthusiastic about these APIs. I'm certainly hoping to get feedback from customers so we know the best ways to invest next (enhancing these or branching to other areas). Thanks for contributing to the conversation. 

Regarding the checkout expansion API, I don't recall seeing that in the Ideation list for CA Gen. If it's there, I'd greatly appreciate you pointing it out for me. There are a LOT out there and I don't want any to slip through the cracks. If it's not in Ideations, I highly recommend adding it. I'm watching Ideation votes closely and reviewing with the delivery team regularly as we prioritize our road map goals. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Kim Peelman
        Product Owner, CA Gen
        Broadcom
        Plano,TX

• 6.  RE: Volunteers Needed: Beta Testing Generator APIs

Posted May 27, 2020 07:19 PM
        Checking out would probably be the missing link for the toolset API in CI/CD for a full end to end pipeline.

We already use a Jenkins pipeline internally to build out our load modules against specific named build profiles, ensuring we build RI > Ops > rest in order.  For us, the prior step (generation) is still a manual process.  A toolset API could help close this gap, but it'll still be a little manual if we have to do the checkouts by hand.

Not insurmountable (it's a handful of models), but still manual.  And Toolset APIs are still useful, even if manual - it helps us automate the generation, reducing the risk of manual errors.

Response Systems