Gen EDGE

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Oracle Java licensing

• 1.  Oracle Java licensing

Posted Jan 22, 2019 03:26 PM

Is CA planning to change their "supported release" model for CA Gen and Java (see Technical Requirements" document) in response to the imminent licensing changes by Oracle regarding Java support?

e.g., are other flavors of OpenJDK under consideration for certification/support?

• 2.  Re: Oracle Java licensing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2019 09:45 AM

Doug,

I will have Gen Product Management review your post and respond.

Cheers,

Andy

• 3.  Re: Oracle Java licensing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2019 12:34 PM

Hi Douglas,

With the updated Oracle licensing for Java we understand the pricing challenges that it may bring along.

Our plan is continue the support for Java 8 so there may not be an immediate impact because of the licensing change by Oracle. With the forthcoming release of Gen we plan to support Java 11 as well but we do not plan to support OpenJDK. If you feel that OpenJDK support is essential for your Gen environment then may we recommend submitting an Idea so we can gauge the interest of other Gen users. 

Thanks,

Chirag Dave

Product Manager

• 4.  Re: Oracle Java licensing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2019 04:21 PM

Relevant "Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap" page is here : Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap 

• 5.  Re: Oracle Java licensing

Posted Jan 23, 2019 06:28 PM

Good call out Doug.

I suspect most enterprise customers haven't started thinking about impacts (price), alternatives (risk of change), and compatibility yet.  That'll happen around about the time Oracle sends a large unexpected invoice    There is an excellent Medium article that discusses the changes that come into effect at the end of this month (Jan-19), and the options customers have: https://medium.com/@javachampions/java-is-still-free-c02aef8c9e04 .  IBM, as one of the alternate providers, also articulates the Oracle licensing change impact succinctly in this Java licensing is changing, and you could be affected – IBM Developer   

I suspect for most enterprise customers, the key points are that commercial use is no longer free (post Jan-19), and unless they are licensed they also no longer receive *security* updates.  

Chirag,

In terms of support and certification, if the product build is certified against the standard, then Oracle's or any other vendor/group's implementation should suffice - possibly a middle ground.

As Broadcom have the definitive list of CA Gen customers utilising Java as a runtime platform (generation, proxies etc), customers may appreciate Broadcom taking a proactive lead on this issue to help ensure customers aren't "unpleasantly" surprised.

• 6.  Re: Oracle Java licensing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2019 09:27 AM

Hi Tim,

We have taken the proactive approach and sent an email in early December (and a follow-up reminder a couple of weeks ago) to the relevant customers seeking their feedback on the forthcoming release's plan to continue to support Java 8 and also support Java 11. We have also listed the points to consider if they choose to upgrade to Java 11. The Java 11 support plans have also been shared with the Gen Edge Board members for awareness.

Regards,

Chirag

• 7.  Re: Oracle Java licensing

Posted Jan 29, 2019 02:04 PM

Can I ask, who are the relevant customers (criteria) that were notified in December and again in January?

I don’t know of anyone here that received any notification regarding this issue.

• 8.  Re: Oracle Java licensing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 29, 2019 03:15 PM

Hi Douglas,

The feedback/notification criteria was based upon the top 75 CA Gen customers that have the Java related components of Gen licensed AND their contact information is available to us from the CA Support history. We also reached out to a few customers outside of our list. We couldn't locate contact information for your organization through CA Support hence you didn't receive our feedback email for this topic. We will update our records to have your email included for future communication.

We initially thought of requesting feedback through a community post but then opted for communicating via an email for various reasons including the ease of back and forth communication and any specific questions around the Gen environment that may want to be discussed before the feedback is shared.

Regards,

Chirag

PS: As a Gen user if you are reading this post and are interested in receiving the Java 11 feedback email then please contact us and we will gladly share it with you.

• 9.  Re: Oracle Java licensing

Posted Jan 29, 2019 03:23 PM

Yes, please add me to the list for Java feedback.

• 10.  RE: Re: Oracle Java licensing

Posted Jun 09, 2020 11:54 AM
    ​Hi,
      Can you add me to the list for Java feedback.
    Thanks

------------------------------
    CGI

• 11.  RE: Re: Oracle Java licensing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 10, 2020 09:52 AM
    Edited by Kim Peelman Jun 10, 2020 09:52 AM
    Jeffery, 
    I am the new product owner for CA Gen. We've had a lot of changes since this thread started, so I'll try to play catch up. 
    1. We no longer keep a Java contact list. As this discussion thread shows, that list had some gaps. Instead, we post announcements in the CA Gen EDGE community. I see you are already a member of our community. Thank you! If you haven't already, I recommend updating your settings to enable email notifications so you stay up to date on the latest announcements. 
    2. We are planning to certify OpenJDK before the end of the year*. 
    *To keep our lawyers happy I need to include our standard disclosure: This is a forward looking statement. This is subject to change at any time without notice.  The development, release and timing of any features or functionality described in this remain at CA's sole discretion.  

If you're looking for other specifics, I'm glad to help. Su Brude, our Product Manager, can also schedule a roadmap conversation with you (susan.brude@broadcom.com).

Have a great day!

Kim Peelman
    Product Owner, CA Gen
    Broadcom
    Plano,TX

• 12.  Re: Oracle Java licensing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 28, 2019 04:07 PM

Thanks Tim. Looks like that 2nd IBM link has changed to: Java licensing has changed, and you could be affected – IBM Developer 

• 13.  Re: Oracle Java licensing

Posted Jan 28, 2019 05:30 PM

Thanks Lynn