Gen EDGE

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

• 1.  CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

Posted Sep 05, 2018 02:11 PM

I have Windows 10 Enterprise. I am using CA Gen 8.5 and am trying to Assemble my files to create an ear file. I am getting this error when I do an assemble in the BuildTool:

C:\windows\system32>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_171\\bin\java.exe "   -classpath "C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Gen85\gen\bt\bt.jar" com.ca.gen85.bt.Execute  "C:\Models85\sample.ief\java\\assemble.EAR.bat"
    Exception caught: java.io.IOException:Cannot run program "C:\Models85\sample.ief\java\\assemble.EAR.bat": CreateProcess error=5, Access is denied
    C:\windows\system32>
    After the failure to assemble, if I just right mouse click on the C:\Models85\sample.ief\java\\assemble.EAR.bat file and run it, it will run and create the ear file. This is my workaround but I rather try to solve the issue on the BuildTool. 
    Has anyone encounter the problem and resolve it? If you have, appreciate if you can share the solution.
    Thanks.

• 2.  Re: CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 06:34 PM

Hi Kwee Mun,

It sounds like a permissions problem and I have found that Windows 10 does have tighter security.

If you start the Build Tool using "Run as administrator" (right mouse button on C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Gen85\Gen\BLDTOOL.BAT) does that allow the assemble to succeed?

If you still have a problem try setting the Compatibility on executable C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_171\\bin\java.exe to have "Run this program as an administrator" enabled.

Hope it helps

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 06, 2018 03:55 AM

Kwee Mun,

That's an output of some command, which should be redirected to the model or %temp% folder; instead of the current one, or the context of execution of that command.that should be set to that folder.

• 4.  Re: CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

Posted Sep 06, 2018 07:16 AM

Hi Kwee Mun

The root cause of your problem is the shortcut used to start the toolset or the build tool depending on how the build tool starts for this.  I do not remember what the CA supplied shortcuts are but I have changed all mine to have a more appropriate Start In folder.

You will notice the java.exe starts with C:\windows\system32 as the current folder.  It appears it wants to write to the current folder which is UAC protected, hence the failure unless you run as administrator.  When you double click the bat file it starts with the model folder as the current folder to which you must already have update access.

I recommend you change all your CA Gen shortcuts to have a more appropriate Start In folder, one to which you have update access without requiring elevation.

Geoff

• 5.  Re: CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

Posted Sep 06, 2018 11:31 AM

Geoff

The Start In for all my shortcut is pointing to "C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Gen85\Gen\". 

I notice when the BuildTool starts, the Path points to c:\Windows\System32 so how can I change it to point to my c:\users\<userid>\ folder? 

• 6.  Re: CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

Posted Sep 06, 2018 10:53 AM

Lynn

The BuildTool is set to run as Administrator and I did change java.exe to run as Admin and still same issue.

Christian and Geoff

can you gave me specific on how I need to do to change the settings. Everything is as default setting. Is there something I need to do when I am installing the software so it does not default to c:\windows\system32. 

Thanks,.

• 7.  Re: CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

Posted Sep 06, 2018 12:29 PM

Looks like I also cannot run the bat file by just clicking on it. I have tp run it as administrator.

• 8.  Re: CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 06, 2018 06:11 PM

Hi Kwee Mun,

If you start the BT manually rather than it by launched by Toolset and then execute the assemble step from relevant model directory does the problem still occur?

Thanks

Lynn

• 9.  Re: CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

Posted Sep 06, 2018 06:28 PM

I did that starting toolset and buildtool to run as administrator. I also change java.exe to run as administrator and still do not work. I saw Java in c:\windows\system32 and I also changed that it ran as administrator. 

BTW, when I manually execute the bat file by clicking on it, it will give me this error message:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

If I right mouse click on the bat file and select 'run as administrator', it will run.

Also, from a command prompt, if I cd into the Java directory in the model and then type 'assemble.EAR.bat' and hit enter, it will run without problem

• 10.  Re: CA Gen 8.5 Assemble on Windows 10 Enterprise

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 10, 2018 01:22 AM

Remember that Windows 10 administrative processes require elevation. If you run an application as administrator (like you do for toolset, build tool, java, ...) and those start other processes, it might well be that the elevation gets lost.

Personally, I'd use Process Monitor and check, for instance, all started processes, to find the ones that are started in in c:\windows\system32, and their parent. Focus on the bat file and its parent.

Christian