Gen EDGE

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

• 1.  Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Nov 11, 2018 03:49 AM

Hello Everybody,

I attended a Composer 4 Training in 1998, I have the training material and the models used in the training.

Now I'm reviewing the material to refresh my knowledge of CA Gen after all these years, especially after providing CA Gen 8.6 Free edition for training and studying purposes. I no longer have and access to Composer 4.0. Now I want to be able to use the models to follow the training material but Ca gen 8.6 is not able to open these models.

Is there any way to migrate these models to Ca Gen 8.6 or at least extract information about objects in the models to reproduce it using Ca Gen 8.6. I have attached as a sample one of  models.

Can any one help me,

Best regards

• 2.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2018 05:56 PM

Hi Osama,

Some background to start with:

During the Gen Release lifecycle each major Release level supports a different model schema in its toolset and you cannot open toolset model files from an earlier schema version with a later toolset. The model would first need to be converted to the later schema on a Gen Encyclopedia and then downloaded to the new toolset. To get the model into the Encyclopedia requires generating an update.trn file from the earlier toolset which even if you had an Encyclopedia you cannot do because you don't have the Composer 4 toolset. (Gen Encyclopedia not part of Gen 8.6 Free Edition: CA Gen Release 8.6 - CA Gen - 8.6 - CA Technologies Documentation ) 

I will find out if we have later schema versions of those models in house or update.trn files that I might be able to convert for you to Gen 8.6 schema models.

Regards,

Lynn

** LATER INFORMATION **

Hi Osama,

I was able to generate update.trn files from your models using a Gen 4.1a toolset. However I have hit a roadblock because the 8.6 Encyclopedia can only convert models from 2 schemas back and there are 5 schema versions between Gen v4 & v8. Thus I need to install a Gen 6.5 Encyclopedia to do that which is problematic due it being 10+ years old and out of support (the supported OS & 3rd party software versions are very old & not available). I am trying to workaround the problems but it may not be possible.

Have you already been though the Gen 8.6 docops Tutorial using the Gen 8.6 free version and the sample models provided?

Tutorial - CA Gen - 8.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

See directory: ...\Gen86Free\Gen\Samples\Models\Tutorial Models\readme.txt

Due to the large time gap that tutorial should be more relevant to current functionality.

Thanks,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Nov 12, 2018 06:04 AM

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for your response.

Each model of these models has 4 files (.dat) and another file called "CHECKOUT.TRN".

Is it the file you mean?

Best regards,

Osama

• 4.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Nov 12, 2018 08:23 AM

Hi Osama; 

Kindly can you share your training material I’m looking for it form long time  

• 5.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 12, 2018 04:28 PM

Hi Osama,

A checkout.trn file is created when you checkout a model from the Encyclopedia to the toolset and from that file the toolset then creates the model .dat files.

We want the opposite i.e. we want to use toolset "Generate new model" option to create an update.trn file to send to the Encyclopedia.

I will update you on my findings later this week.

Regards,

Lynn

• 6.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Nov 13, 2018 02:02 PM

Hi Lynn,

Thanks you for your support.

Best regards,

Osama

• 7.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2018 12:46 AM

Hi Osama,

I was able to generate update.trn files from your models using a Gen 4.1a toolset. However I have hit a roadblock because the 8.6 Encyclopedia can only convert models from 2 schemas back and there are 5 schema versions between Gen v4 & v8. Thus I need to install a Gen 6.5 Encyclopedia to do that which is problematic due it being 10+ years old and out of support (the supported OS & 3rd party software versions are very old & not available). I am trying to workaround the problems but it may not be possible.

Have you already been though the Gen 8.6 docops Tutorial using the Gen 8.6 free version and the sample models provided?

Tutorial - CA Gen - 8.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

See directory: ...\Gen86Free\Gen\Samples\Models\Tutorial Models\readme.txt

Due to the large time gap that tutorial should be more relevant to current functionality.

Thanks,

Lynn

• 8.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Nov 14, 2018 07:22 AM

Hi Lynn,

Thank you very much for you help and support. I really appreciate it.

I think you are right.

Best regards,

Osama

• 9.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Nov 15, 2018 01:52 PM

Lynn,

One stumbling block with this approach is that the free version of Gen requires that the model has not been uploaded to the encyclopaedia, so would converting the model on the encyclopaedia and then downloading it prevent it being used by the free version?

Darius

• 10.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 19, 2018 12:36 AM
      |   view attached

Darius,

Yes you are 100% correct.

Our QA team were able to convert each of the 4 models to 6.5 schema for me, but I after I converted to 8.6 and checked out to a normal 8.6 toolset to generate the .dat files, those same files cannot be opened in the Free Version which reports message "Previously uploaded models cannot be used with the Free version."

Osama,

For future reference if you migrate to the full Gen version and for anyone else wanting to use the old LITETRAK models in Gen 8.6 attached are the 8.6 .dat files for the 4 models.

Regards,

Lynn

Attachment(s)

• 11.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2018 09:43 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Osama,

Engineering were able to help me to allow the models to be opened with the free version, so I have attached here.

Regards,

Lynn

Attachment(s)

• 12.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Nov 22, 2018 02:55 PM

Dear Lynn,

It works,

I really appreciate your help. I want to thank you for your time and effort.

Would you please help me converting the rest of them.

Another thing Is it allowed to upload the training material for the benefit of the community,

or this contradicts the copyrights. The material was owned by Texas Instruments at this time?

Best regards,

Osama

• 13.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2018 09:00 PM

Hi Osama,

I will see what I can do regarding converting your remaining models - it may take some time as there are quite a few models across the 8 .rar files.

For uploading the training material with copyright to Texas Instruments, the Gen owners at the time, let me speak with Gen Product Management about that.

Thanks,

Lynn

• 14.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Nov 28, 2018 08:51 AM

Hello Lynn,

Thanks a lot. I understand  that it will take some time.

Thanks,

Osama

• 15.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2018 11:56 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Osama,
    I have the first set of models converted and zapped to allow Gen 8.6 free version usage. 
    Please see attached file 1THE_USER_INTERFACE_MODEL_Gen86_Free.zip
    If you can confirm success opening the models I will then work on and send the remainder.
    NOTE: The zip file only contains the model files and not some of the other files that were in the corresponding rar file so you will need to transfer those over if you need them.

Thanks
    Lynn

P.S. I still need to follow up on your request to upload the old Texas Instruments Composer 4 training material which I am doing now.

Attachment(s)

• 16.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Dec 10, 2018 08:32 AM

Hi Lynn,

Thank you very much for your support.

The first set of models "1THE_USER_INTERFACE_MODEL" works perfectly. I'm waiting for the others.

Best regards,

Osama

• 17.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 10, 2018 05:32 PM

Hi Osama,

Attached are the remaining 7 sets of models. Please let me know if you encounter any problems with them.

For the old Texas Instruments Composer 4 training material, Product Management have suggested that other community users who are interested in it can message you directly from your community page. Does that sound OK?

Thanks again for contributing this material to the community.

Regards,

Lynn

• 18.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Dec 11, 2018 06:10 AM

Hi Lynn,

All models works perfectly.

I really appreciate your help. You really helped me a lot.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Osama

• 19.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2018 03:57 PM

Hi Osama,

No problem and thanks for confirmation.

Are you happy with other community users messaging you directly if they want a copy of the old Texas Instruments Composer 4 training material? If you prefer to post it to the community Product Management would need to check with our legal team.

Thanks

Lynn

• 20.  Re: Can I convert Composer 4.0 models to Ca Gen 8.6

Posted Dec 15, 2018 11:21 AM

Hi Lynn,

Yes, of course. I've no problem if the community users messaging me directly.

Best regards,

Osama