Gen EDGE

View Only
  • 1.  Software change management with CA Gen

Posted Sep 03, 2016 03:16 PM

Is there a reliable way to identify that a load module on the IBM mainframe was created in CA Gen?

We normally require that all of the developed source code be added to our software change management (SCM) tool, on the IBM mainframe we utilized CA ENDEVOR Software Change Manager, and that the load modules are generated inside the SCM tool from that source code to ensure that we have the complete set of matching source code that is needed for future maintenance and development of the load modules.  However, load modules creating using CA Gen are added directly to the our SCM tool without the source code.  Therefore we have two source code repositories, one is CA ENDEVOR SCM and the other is CA Gen.

A problem with this is that at least one developer who is not using CA Gen is nevertheless adding his load modules to ENDEVOR SCM without the source code.  So his source code is in neither source code repository. If there is a reliable way to identify that a load module was created in CA Gen then we could prevent this violation of SCM standards from continuing into the future by blocking load modules not created in CA Gen from being added to CA ENDEVOR SCM.

• 2.  Re: Software change management with CA Gen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 04, 2016 06:45 PM

Hello Mathew,

If you search the Load Module using the FIND macro with search string of 'TIRMAIN" that should verify if the Load Module came from Gen (does not matter if Dialog Manager/Server Manager/Batch Manager)

Load Module Components in the HE Environment - CA Gen - 8.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Software change management with CA Gen

Posted Sep 13, 2016 05:15 PM

Lynn,

Is that not only true in the event that you're building load modules with static linkage?  I could think of two scenarios that wouldn't have a TIRMAIN:

* zLibs - they're just a bundle of CABs with no manager, no?

* Dynamic programs - if everything is built dynamic, then each CAB won't live in the manager load module but one of their own

Or am I off the trolley on this one?

I would've thought you'd probably need to use a potential combination of matches.  TIRLGLOD would be present anywhere you call something marked for compatibility.  The CA copyright string should be present as well (unless built OPT(FULL)?) though that could also match other CA products.  Possibly TIRARUN or TIRORUN if it makes use of runtime functions?

• 4.  Re: Software change management with CA Gen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 07:04 PM

Hi Daniel,

Yes agreed. My reply was not 100% rigorous

Regards,

Lynn