Gen EDGE

View Only
  • 1.  64 bit support for client code.

Posted Mar 21, 2016 03:56 AM

Hi All,

We are using CA-Gen to generate client code/screen for our applications. Its worked fine with 32 bit client machines (the one
    we are using) but it doesn’t work well with 64 bit client machines.
    As you know Window-10 is 64-bit platform so it is stopping us to move to Window10.

Below is mention in CA help:

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/recommended-reading/product-related-technical-information/ca-gen-and-64-bit-address-spaces-and-operating-systems.aspx?intcmp=searchresultclick&resultnum=4

Let us know when we can start using 64 bit in CA.

Thanks,

Abhishek

• 2.  Re: 64 bit support for client code.

Posted Mar 21, 2016 10:17 AM

I have moved this into the CA Gen Edge Community because its product specific. 

• 3.  Re: 64 bit support for client code.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 21, 2016 10:59 AM

Abhishek,

The Gen 8.5 Release Notes has information for 64-bit support on Windows.  The Notes says that "CA Gen supports compiling and executing generated C block mode and server applications as 64-bit images on Windows using Visual Studio.".  If your "client code/screen" is what is referred to as block mode (3270 green screen), then it should be supported in 64-bit.  Please see the Notes for information for the Build Tool and runtime.  If you still have problems, please open a case with CA Support and we will help you.

https://support.ca.com/cadocs/0/CA%20Gen%208%205-ENU/Bookshelf_Files/PDF/Gen_ReleaseNotes_ENU.pdf

Cheers,

Andy Hebert

CA Support

• 4.  Re: 64 bit support for client code.

Posted Mar 21, 2016 02:35 PM

What, exactly, do you mean when you say "it doesn’t work well with 64 bit client machines"?  Although GUI clients are 32-bit applications, that should not stop them from working in 64-bit architectures.  I use Gen generated GUI clients all the time on my Windows 7 64-bit machine, for example.

• 5.  Re: 64 bit support for client code.

Posted Apr 18, 2016 06:23 AM

Hello John/Andy,

We had tested application generated by CA-Gen on 32 bit client machines and they were working fine but when we test them on 64 bit machine they started giving error. I even found this on CA Site:

On the client side, we plan to continue supporting only 32 bit GUI clients, Communications Client Managers and the Communications Bridge Server for the foreseeable future. Since we will only support 32 bit clients, by extension we will only support the 32 bit version of Microsoft's Host Integration Server

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/recommended-reading/product-related-technical-information/ca-gen-and-64-bit-address-spaces-and-operating-systems.aspx?intcmp=searchresultclick&resultnum=4

Wanted to know if this issue is still there or now CA-Gen generated client can run on 64 bit computer. Please note we are using C++ DLL for front end and COBOL for Server.

Thanks,

Abhishek

• 6.  Re: 64 bit support for client code.

Posted May 19, 2016 07:56 AM

Hello John/Andy,

Further to above note, we have re-install CA-Gen and generated application on new machine which has 64 bit operating system (windows-7).

Again it does not work there. Rest all the machine/workstation in our organization are having 32 bit OS and it is working fine there.

Using CA-Gen we are generating client code in C++ DLL (Window based) and server code in COBOL.

People were telling me that after we install new PTF it will start working but again we are getting same error.

It always say " Client Manager Stop Working". Please see attached screen shot and log too.

Please let me know what we need to do so that our application can work on 64 bit OS to.

Thanks,

Abhishek.

Attachment(s)

zip
    AshaVaha 64 Bit_Error.zip   155 KB 1 version

• 7.  Re: 64 bit support for client code.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 19, 2016 11:56 AM

Abhishek,

First, let me say that I have Windows 7 64 bit and Gen 8.5 works fine in this environment.

Second, let's get to the problem.  You may want to open a case with CA Support for this problem.

I reviewed the WER979F.tmp.mdmp file and see a few things to check in to.

1. The location of the Client Manager executable IEFCM85N.EXE shows to be executed from the C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Gen85\Gen directory.  But the directory that it gets installed to is C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Gen85\Gen\VS100.

2. The version for the WRG850N.DLL shows to be 8.5.0.6643.

3. The dump shows that Attachmate Extra DLLs are being accessed.

I have the following questions from the above observations.

1. Was this Gen 8.5 installation installed or just copied from another machine?  If copied, rename the Gen directory and then install from the CD or ISO.

2. Why was the IEFCM85N.EXE moved to the directory that it was not installed in?

3. The version of the WRG850N.DLL is pre-WKS85003.  It is recommended that keep current on PTF, with a minimum of WKS85003 and WKS85004.

4. Has Client Manager ever worked on this machine?  I am thinking not from your posts in this thread.  If it has never worked, but it is accessing Attachmate Extra DLLs, you must have copied an iefcmn.ini from another machine.  Is that right?  If so, rename the iefcmn.ini and start Client Manager to see if it starts.

Here are some general questions/suggestions.

1. Have you tried starting the Client Manager with 'Run as administrator'?

2. Is the Windows ID you are logged on with have local Administrator rights on your Windows 7?

3. Do you have the Client Manager on a Virtual Machine or on a physical machine?  If virtual, try installing Gen on the physical machine.

Again, you may want to open a case with CA Support.

Cheers,

Andy Hebert

CA Support

• 8.  Re: 64 bit support for client code.

Posted May 23, 2016 08:23 AM

Thanks Andy for your reply.

I had discussed this internally and we have decided to open a case with CA regarding this.

Thanks,

Abhishek