Gen EDGE

View Only
  • 1.  Integration of COOL:Gen 6.0 with the Crystal Reports on Window 7

Posted May 13, 2014 06:58 AM

Hi,

Currently working in a project to upgrade to WIN7 where we have COOL:Gen 6.0 with the Crystal Reports.. Any ideas or documentations... .. How the COOL:Gen 6.0 will work with the Crystal Reports

• 2.  RE: Integration of COOL:Gen 6.0 with the Crystal Reports on Window 7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2014 07:34 PM
    chennaiah:

Hi,

Currently working in a project to upgrade to WIN7 where we have COOL:Gen 6.0 with the Crystal Reports.. Any ideas or documentations... .. How the COOL:Gen 6.0 will work with the Crystal Reports

Hello,

Gen 6.0 expired support 10 years ago (June 30, 2004). It is untested/not certified on Windows 7 and I would strongly advise that you upgrade to the latest Gen 8.x release before you migrate to Windows 7. Please see the CA Gen Product Home Page for the latest information: https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/prddtlshome?prdhmpgform=p&productID=256

In addition, if you are using Gen with Crystal Reports you are probably using Canam Software's Report Composer product & only RC8 is supported under Win7:  http://www.canamsoftware.com/Products/CAGenSolutions/ReportComposer%E2%84%A2/Overview/tabid/236/Default.aspx

Hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: Integration of COOL:Gen 6.0 with the Crystal Reports on Window 7

Posted May 14, 2014 01:28 AM

Hi Lynn,

YES ,I agree that Gen 6.0 expried the support and not certified for the WIN7 ,  Once WIN7 upgrade completed.. we will plan for Gen 8.5 upgrade..

But want to mitigate issue curretly that old version of Canam reports won't work with WIN7...   so plan to upgrade to Crystal reports on WIN7.. will Gen 6.0 client server..

• 4.  RE: Integration of COOL:Gen 6.0 with the Crystal Reports on Window 7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 14, 2014 04:03 AM
    chennaiah:

Hi Lynn,

YES ,I agree that Gen 6.0 expried the support and not certified for the WIN7 ,  Once WIN7 upgrade completed.. we will plan for Gen 8.5 upgrade..

But want to mitigate issue curretly that old version of Canam reports won't work with WIN7...   so plan to upgrade to Crystal reports on WIN7.. will Gen 6.0 client server..

Hi,

In the older Gen versions the Gen OLE functionality could be used to interface with Crystal Reports i.e. after registering the Crystal Reports ocx file you can use Gen OLE functionality to define a GUI Object to the Crystal OLE control and then manipulate any GUI Object attributes as required. However from what I have read 8.5 is the last Crystal reports version that had an OCX included.

I will also check what other old info. may be available on this subject.

• 5.  RE: Integration of COOL:Gen 6.0 with the Crystal Reports on Window 7

Posted May 14, 2014 06:12 AM

Thank you. any information on this topic will be really helpful....

• 6.  RE: Integration of COOL:Gen 6.0 with the Crystal Reports on Window 7
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 19, 2014 10:08 PM

Unfortunately I have not been able to locate any copies of relevant papers on this subject (written in the late 1990s) so hopefully you have made progress with my earlier OLE/OCX suggestion? The Crystal Reports 8.5 documentation should cover what you need for setting the required object properties e.g. http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/communitycs/TechnicalPapers/cr85_devguide.pdf

It seems that using External Action Blocks was another option but appears to have been superseded by most customers moving to the OLE solution.

• 7.  RE: Integration of COOL:Gen 6.0 with the Crystal Reports on Window 7

Posted May 20, 2014 12:36 AM

Hi , Thank you for info..

We are planning to use the External Action Blocks (EAB) only as the current application is using the EAB to produced the Reports..

The given documentation will be helpful... Thank you,.

• 8.  RE: Integration of COOL:Gen 6.0 with the Crystal Reports on Window 7

Posted May 20, 2014 05:04 AM

Perhaps you should contact the people at Canam Software, the makers of Report Composer?

http://www.canamsoftware.com/Products/CAGenSolutions/ReportComposer%E2%84%A2/Overview.aspx