Gen EDGE

View Only
  • 1.  C# Servers - 64 bit Windows OS

Posted Jun 05, 2014 09:37 AM

Hi,

Has anyone successfully deployed Gen generated C# servers, which are still only 32 bit code, on a 64 bit Windows OS (i.e. Server 2008 R2) ?

If so, what did you have to do to get it to work.

Also, if anyone from CA wants to shed any additional light on if / when we might be able to create 64 bit C# code from Gen, that would be great.  We're on r8.  8.5 doesn't support it either.  It seems that most, if not all, other non-Z/OS code can be generated as 64 bit code except C# code.  We've tried the 32 bit .NET proxy code on a 64 bit server and that seems to work, but not the C# server code.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: [CA Gen General Discussion] C# Servers - 64 bit Windows OS

Posted Jun 05, 2014 02:28 PM
    My understanding is that Gen r8 IE2 and Gen 8.5 do support 64-bit C# servers; you just have to set the correct value in the build tool (OPT.BITS under OPTIONS in the profile) for that to happen and ensure that all third-party libraries are also 64-bit. The Gen-generated code does not care, because it is agnostic when it comes to 32-bit or 64-bit (in other words, the code is no different; just the build changes).

Are you having some particular problem even after building the code with the correct build tool value?

From: CA GEN EDGE Global User CommunityMessage Boards [mailto:CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com]
    Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2014 8:37 AM
    To: mb_message.2228952.119566490@myca-email.ca.com
    Subject: [CA Gen General Discussion] C# Servers - 64 bit Windows OS

Hi,

Has anyone successfully deployed Gen generated C# servers, which are still only 32 bit code, on a 64 bit Windows OS (i.e. Server 2008 R2) ?

If so, what did you have to do to get it to work.

Also, if anyone from CA wants to shed any additional light on if / when we might be able to create 64 bit C# code from Gen, that would be great. We're on r8. 8.5 doesn't support it either. It seems that most, if not all, other non-Z/OS code can be generated as 64 bit code except C# code. We've tried the 32 bit .NET proxy code on a 64 bit server and that seems to work, but not the C# server code.

Thanks.
    Posted by:S_Pickett
    --
    CA Communities Message Boards
    mb_message.2228952.119566490@myca-email.ca.com<mailto:mb_message.2228952.119566490@myca-email.ca.com>
    https://communities.ca.com

• 3.  RE: [CA Gen General Discussion] C# Servers - 64 bit Windows OS

Posted Jun 05, 2014 02:53 PM

Hi John ..... Below is what I received from Gen Support on a ticket I opened last year.  I was hopeful also when I saw the information in IE2 but it seems that it is only for C, not C#.  I had support open Enhancement Request  with issue # 21470853 but haven't heard anything.  The installation I am at has ONE set of 32 bit servers that they still have running and it is only because the C# servers from Gen are only supported on 32 bit servers according to the last I heard from Gen support.  Periodically I get poked here and asked if they can get off the last of the remaining 32 bit servers and I have to tell them no because of the Gen C# code.  I was poked again recently so I thought I would see if there was any progress or if anyone else has the C# servers running on a 64 bit machine. ...... Stacy Pickett

From Gen Support on ticket # 21470223

" Below is from the IE2 documentation (attached).  The 64bit statement
    below is the same that is in the 8.5 Release Notes.  There is no support
    for 64bit .NET servers, only 64bit C servers are supported.
    64 bit C Runtime support on Windows
         CA Gen now supports compiling and executing generated C blockmode and
    server applications as 64bit images on Windows using Visual Studio 2010.
    Users can choose to build their generated C blockmode and server
    applications as 64bit by setting the new Build Tool tokens, OPT.BITS (to
    64) and OPT.VSVERSION (to VS2010) in their profile. Users will need to
    regenerate their code to gain access to 64bit data types used in the
    Windows X 64 API to create 64bit images."

• 4.  RE: [CA Gen General Discussion] C# Servers - 64 bit Windows OS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 05, 2014 05:34 PM

Hi Stacy,<u1:p></u1:p>

I checked your Enhancement Request/DAR issue 21470853 and it seems we sent a response from Development apologising that the Gen 8.0 Interim Enhancement #2 documentation is misleading, so perhaps you did not receive it?. Per John's advice, the Build Tool OPTIONS token OPT.BITS is applicable to .NET and can be set to 64 to enable build of 64-bit .NET Servers in Gen 8.5 and 8.0 IE2.

So if you are still having deployments problems with 64-bit .NET servers after using that option please raise a support issue and we will look into it.<u1:p></u1:p>

(I will also submit a doc issue to ask for the 64-bit .NET server info to be added to 8.5 Release Notes & Build Tool Guides)<u1:p></u1:p>

Hope this helps

Regards,

Lynn

• 5.  RE: [CA Gen General Discussion] C# Servers - 64 bit Windows OS

Posted Jun 06, 2014 08:37 AM

Hi Lynn,

Well, no, that information never made it back to me from CA support.  Good to know now.  We'll have to set up a VS 2010 machine and give it a try.  Anything else that needs to be done besides the Build Tool option change and the path change to point to the amd64 folder for the C# generation / installation ?

Thanks,

Stacy

• 6.  RE: [CA Gen General Discussion] C# Servers - 64 bit Windows OS
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 06, 2014 04:21 PM

Hi Stacy,

The %GEN85%\Gen\VS100 folder hierarchy (including amd64 sub-folder) is only relevant for Gen C code/runtimes.

For C# the compiles of generated code are done with the AnyCPU (default) option so they can run on x86 or x64 (see *.csproj file in the model.ief\c# folder). I believe the Gen .NET runtime assemblies in %GEN85%\Gen\.net\bin are also built in the same way (there is only one version).

The OPT.BITS token in the build tool is only used for C# in the assemble phase (%GEN85%\Gen\bt\scripts\deploy_msi_net.scr calls genbits.scr to get the "bitness"). That ensures the msi package is built for the required x86 or x64 deployment platform.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Lynn

• 7.  RE: [CA Gen General Discussion] C# Servers - 64 bit Windows OS

Posted Jun 06, 2014 04:36 PM

Yes, this helps tremendously.

Thank you.