NetMaster

View Only
  • 1.  OSA Thruput Using CA NetMaster

Posted Jun 27, 2018 09:24 AM

What is the best way to monitor/determine the thruput of OSA devices using CA NetMaster R12.1? We are trying to determine whether we as fully using the two 10Gbe OSA-Express 5S cards that we have.

• 2.  Re: OSA Thruput Using CA NetMaster

Posted Jun 27, 2018 09:55 PM

In /OSAMON the Summary screen provides Read and Write KB/sec values that are sourced either from RMF or SNMP depending on how monitoring has been defined. RMF will show the local partition and total rates. The advantage of SNMP is that it will show all partitions. Useful if you are port sharing. Both sets of values can be added to the resource monitoring to provide a long term view of activity. eg RMFChpReadRateTotal, RMFChpWriteRateTotal, ChpReadRateLpar5Min, ChpWriteRateLpar5Min

From a stack viewpoint (/STKMON) use DL to list interfaces and select the OSA interface to view the Interface Traffic Statistics. There are 5 one minute periods and 12 five minute periods showing bytes in/out. There will also be an application summary of interface usage based on a combined bytes in and out value. 

Cheers, Jon 

• 3.  Re: OSA Thruput Using CA NetMaster

Posted Jun 28, 2018 10:20 AM

In /OSAMON, when S=Info is used, I see only performance data from RMF. The only values provided for the LPAR and Total for the Channel are: Process, READ (KB/Sec), Write (KB/Sec), and PCI Bus. I believe that SNMP was enabled, but I don't know how to verify that. Can you tell me how to do that? Are the ChpReadRateLpar5Min and ChpWriteRateLpar5min only available when SNMP data is available or after specific PTF has been applied? We are running Release 12.1 and are not current on maintenance.

• 4.  Re: OSA Thruput Using CA NetMaster
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 28, 2018 08:06 PM

Hi Jon,

The 1st panel of update (General Description) for OSA resources has  'Use SNMP?' 'Stack for SNMP' fields. The OSA SNMP support is provided by an IOBSNMP task via DPI interface to SNMP. So you will need to run that as well as the SNMPD task.

Cheers, Jon 

• 5.  Re: OSA Thruput Using CA NetMaster

Posted Jun 29, 2018 08:39 AM

I updated the OSA resource to use SNMP and we are now getting the information we need on the /OSAMON and /STKMON panels.

• 6.  Re: OSA Thruput Using CA NetMaster

Posted Jul 01, 2018 08:37 PM

Good stuff! Glad I could help. Cheers, Jon