OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  Reminder about components going EOS in August 2019

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2019 02:35 PM
    Hello,

I wanted to send out a reminder that several components of OPS/MVS will be going out of support in August 2019.  

Hardware Services (HiSrv) - This component allowed OPS/MVS to communicate with the HMC to automated messages, send commands, and view/change attributes.  We are currently in the process of finishing up a replacement interface, if you are interested in hearing more please let me know.

WebCenter - This was the original OPS/MVS web interface that handles the alerting, via REXX environment ALERTMON, and a System State Manager interface. This interface is being replaced by new development within Mainframe Team Center - Automation.  This development is in process and will be rolled out in incremental steps.

Linux Connector Interface - This component allows zVM and Linux for System Z messages to be sent through the AOF Engine and land in the OPSLOG.  It will also allow for commands to be sent and responses to be filtered back.  There is an additional existing interface to communicate with VM/CMS Virtual Machines that handles similar functionality including messaging and command issuing.  Please reach out if you are working on a use case that isn't covered by this interface.

Integrating with z/VM Systems Documentation
    Communicating with VM/CMS Virtual Machines

Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at michael.kiehl@broadcom.com.

------------------------------
    Michael Kiehl
    Product Manager
    Broadcom

• 2.  RE: Reminder about components going EOS in August 2019

Posted Aug 28, 2019 04:53 AM
    We feel it's rather strange to hav a service going EOS while the replacement is not even available.
    Meanwhile there is a PTF on OPS 13.5 for BCPii services, but it's still a test PTF. The official ptf is expected August 30.. And the nex day HISRV is going EOS.. How are we supposed to cover that replacement within such a short period? There used to be at least 6 months until a year to handle that.

[Designation]
    Automated Operations Technical Expert
    Atos
    Netherlands

• 3.  RE: Reminder about components going EOS in August 2019

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2019 09:47 AM
    Marcel,

It's good to see you and reconnect.  I have reviewed your question/observation and had a similar one yesterday on this very topic.  As you will note in the announcement that Mike Kiehl posted, the following statement was made and I think it is important to clarify this just a bit from the support perspective:

As a reminder, our statement in the deprecation notification says "CA Technologies will honor any existing contractual requirements to sustain support on these products that exists between you and CA Technologies."  Even though it will be deprecated, we will continue to support this through the end of their current contracts, although nothing new will be created.  This support will continue for customers running the respective product releases through to the end of those contracts and/or the EOS for those releases.  This should provide customers with the coverage they need, as they implement the replacement functionality. 

Regards,

Gregory Kelly
    Manager, Technical Support
    Mainframe Division
    Broadcom