OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  OPSMVS  CA7 WA EMA Application Programming Interface API

Posted Aug 03, 2012 04:24 PM
    [size=6][size]OPSMVS CA7 WA EMA Application Programming Interface API is documented in the

CA Workload Automation SE 11.3 bookshelf in the

Systems Programming Guide.

Here you will find the implementation steps needed to be done in order to use this API to send Event Notifications from CA7 to OPSMVS in the form of API events upon which rules with intended actions can be taken.
    This process uses the CA7 Master Station Message Routing (MSMR) feature, which can also be used with CA Generalized Transaction Server Event Console Handling Option (ECHO) feature to route messages to a central monitoring console.
    These include messages about the status of CA Workload Automation SE jobs and CA Workload Automation SE system activities such as schedule scan and job submission. In the typical configuration, the master station is associated with a sequential file known as the browse data set.
    Once these messages are written to the browse data set, they can be routed to one or more Unicenter Event Consoles or to CA OPS/MVS EMA using the API.

• 2.  Re: OPSMVS  CA7 WA EMA Application Programming Interface API

Posted Nov 28, 2016 02:36 PM

I recently upgraded to CA-OPS 12.2 and suddenly lost all my CA-7 messages. In looking through the setup of both products I came across this API setup. The interesting thing is we had never set this up since we upgraded CA-7 to 11.3 and prior to the CA-OPS upgrade we were getting CA-7 messages just fine. I also am pretty sure there was a method prior to this one in which CA-7 messages were sent to CA-OPS but I do not remember where I saw it or how it worked but I am pretty sure we were using it all the way to the upgrade of CA-OPS 12.2 from CA-OPS 12.1.

• 3.  Re: OPSMVS  CA7 WA EMA Application Programming Interface API

Posted Nov 28, 2016 04:53 PM

Travis,

If you are setup to use parameter INITCA7=YES then you have been using the CA 7 browse ENF feature to detect events. There is a better alternative that does not depend on Common Services ENF. It is a direct API interface between CA 7 and CA OPS/MVS. To use it you have to include the following DD statement in the CA7ONL JCL:

//MSGRCNTL DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=prefix.CAL2OPTN(MSGRCNTL)

In the member pointed by this DD statement you have to include these 3 lines:

TO(*OPSAPI*)   
    * -------- Triggering messages   
    TXT(*)                           

You can find the documentation of this API on the CA 7 Systems Programming Guide, Chapter 3: Installation Requirements, section MSMR - Route Master Station (Browse) Messages.

After you enable this API you can set INITCA7 to NO in OPSSPA00 member. Otherwise you will have duplicate CA 7 messages in the OPSLOG browse. We normally recommend clients migrate to this new method.

Let me know if this helps Travis.

Regards, Cesar

• 4.  Re: OPSMVS  CA7 WA EMA Application Programming Interface API

Posted Nov 28, 2016 04:59 PM

Thanks for the info. We have just set up the MSMR this afternoon and it is working like a champ on our maintenance LPAR. I still have INITCA7 set to YES but it wasn't giving us the CA-7 messages after 12.2 was installed. Did support for ENF get dropped in 12.2?

• 5.  Re: OPSMVS  CA7 WA EMA Application Programming Interface API

Posted Nov 28, 2016 05:03 PM

You are welcome Travis and glad to hear you have it under control.

Releases 12.2 and 12.3 still supports the CA 7 browse ENF feature to detect events.

So short answer is no, we have not dropped support for this in our two GA supported releases.

As the MSMR is the most efficient way to do this stay with it for now on.

Regards, Cesar