OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  DFSMS/DFHSM to move CA-VIEW Database Elements

Posted May 06, 2019 08:45 AM

Wondering if anyone has had any experience and/or issues moving CA-VIEW database elements (data and index pieces) using DFSMS or DFHSM utilities (i.e. migrate/recall to move from one volume to another.)  I've done some limited testing and haven't come across any issues.  Just wondered if there were any "real world" examples of other users successfully using this method.

• 2.  Re: DFSMS/DFHSM to move CA-VIEW Database Elements
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 06, 2019 12:20 PM

Michael,

Though I haven't done any actual testing of the process, it is my understanding that clients have had success moving View database extents using non-View utilities.  These would include FDR and DFDSS. 

The ground rules would still be the same, as with using a View utility, that ALL activity against the database would have to be down prior to the movement (SARSTC, SARFSS, SAREAS, SARXTD, SARXMS, and any CA Deliver RMOSTC tasks where there is direct writing to the View database).

Regards,

Bob Keefe. 

• 3.  Re: DFSMS/DFHSM to move CA-VIEW Database Elements

Posted May 06, 2019 12:57 PM

Bob, Thanks.  That's been my experience on vary small scale, in our testing environment.  We have a number of VIEW databases that are poorly blocked, resulting in unused space.  Some are no longer being archived to, and are being re-blocked to reduce overall size.  Others are still active.  All are spread across a large DASD pool which can be reduced by approximately 20 Mod-54's once were done.  The active ones will take longer to "reblock" because of the extended down time needed to copy from one database to another.  Being able to move using DFHSMS migrate/recall can help reduce the time we need to free up DASD volumes before we have everything actually reblocked.