OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  Moving from SSMv2 to SSMv3 Clarification

Posted Sep 14, 2017 01:10 PM

I am working out a plan of attack to move to SSMv3 on an LPAR currently running SSMv2. I have read the manual about how to do it but based on the customization we have done (and will have to undo, too much to explain here) with SSMv3, I am looking to essentially "start fresh" with SSMv3. That is to say there are pieces of SSMv3 that we were emulating with SSMv2 but now have an actually method in SSMv3.

I have SSMv3 set up on one of our 2 maintenance LPARs and have everything just about tweaked to where I want it so ideally I could just pick it up and drop it on another system. Easy enough except that the STCTBL on the current systems are not standard tables. Also, the maintenance LPAR that  is currently running SSMv3 does not have all of the tasks up and running on it that our other LPARs do. I was planning to run the Policy Manager Discovery process to populate PM. Here is where my question really begins. In order to do anything with Policy Manager I need to set SSMVERSION=3. How will that affect all of my SSMv2 layout if at all? I would like to be able to stage the change over to SSMv3 as much as possible so when I go to our production environment the actual work to switch it on is minimal. I don't want to have to be copying and building things during our maintenance window. I want to be able to maybe copy a few things, enable/disable some rules and switch the parameter. 

• 2.  Re: Moving from SSMv2 to SSMv3 Clarification

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 15, 2017 09:06 AM

Hi Travi,

If you set SSMVERSION=3 the CURRENT_STATE of the resources will be set to STARTING and STOPPING by the SSM engine before the START and STOP actions are taken. This should not affect your current SSMV2 environment as your rules will set CS to the same state but this is something you should be aware.

After you set SSMVERSION=3 you will be able to access the Policy Manager panels which won't interfere with the active SSM environment unless you use the LOAD function (individually or globally).

Thank you,

Mario

Carlos Mario Filho
    Principal Support Engineer

• 3.  Re: Moving from SSMv2 to SSMv3 Clarification

Posted Sep 19, 2017 02:01 PM

Thanks for the information Carlos. One follow up question, if after I switch the SSMVERSION parameter to 3 I then IPL, what effect will that have when OPS/MVS comes up? I am thinking that since all of the Rules and REXX are still the old ones and if the new tables are not managed by SSM we should be just fine but I would like to confirm this.

• 4.  Re: Moving from SSMv2 to SSMv3 Clarification

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 19, 2017 02:40 PM

Hi Travis,

There should be no problems as you are not yet loading resources from the Policy Manager to the SSM managed tables. The only visible behavior will be the automatic setting of CURRENT_STATE to STARTING and STOPPING before the DOWN_UP and UP_DOWN actions are executed.

Regards,

Mario

Carlos Mario Filho
    Principal Support Engineer