OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  CA OPS/MVS - Bad PING giving RC of 0 in OPS/MVS

Posted May 28, 2016 07:00 AM

I am trying to run a piece of code as a TOD rule in OPS/MVS r12.2 that simply pings a server. If the response is RC 0, the ping worked. If anything else, the ping failed.. send an alert.

Now, when I test my Rexx with a trace outside of OPS/MVS. If works great!

Outside of OPS, when the ping response is something other than 0, send an alert. I get RC 100 when the ping is bad. That is expected, I'm happy.

+++ RC(100) +++

*_* IF rc = 0

>V> "100"
    >L> "0"
    >O> "0"

When I run the same piece of code via a rule in OPS/MVS.... If I ping an invalid OR valid server, the RC is always 0 - I do not know why.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I searched OPS/MVS and OPS/MVS Japan forum popped up.

James Quint, Jr

• 2.  Re: CA OPS/MVS - Bad PING giving RC of 0 in OPS/MVS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 31, 2016 08:50 AM

Hi James,

Can you confirm the CA Product name that you are referring to in the behavior described above? I do need to find an appropriate location for this post as this site is for the CA Server Automation product/suite.

Thanks,
    Gregg

• 3.  Re: CA OPS/MVS - Bad PING giving RC of 0 in OPS/MVS

Community Manager
    Posted May 31, 2016 10:44 AM

It looks to me like this belongs in our The specified item was not found. community, so I'm going to move it there. Thanks, Gregg.

• 4.  Re: CA OPS/MVS - Bad PING giving RC of 0 in OPS/MVS

Posted Jun 01, 2016 12:15 PM

Hello James,

This is Cesar Molina form CA OPS/MVS Customer Support at CA Technologies.

I would like to exercise your code and the way you are executing it in our labs.

Would you be ok opening a case so we can go over it?

If you provide me with your Customer/Site ID number I can do this for you as well.

Let us now what works best for you.

Regards, Cesar

• 5.  Re: CA OPS/MVS - Bad PING giving RC of 0 in OPS/MVS

Posted Jun 01, 2016 12:44 PM

James,

Please refrain from providing your Customer/Site ID number on this Communities public discussion.

Feel free to refer back to this Community post in the new case you are about to open.

This way the ticket will find its way back to me so I can test your code in our labs and confirm your observations.

Regards, Cesar

• 6.  Re: CA OPS/MVS - Bad PING giving RC of 0 in OPS/MVS

Posted Jun 02, 2016 03:49 AM

I don't think you can do a ping in a TOD (or any) rule, as it won't wait for the answer, just returns rc=0 for successfully issueing the ping cmd itself.

try launching aan ops/rexx on a server that does the ping instead.

Marcel van Ek

Atos

• 7.  Re: CA OPS/MVS - Bad PING giving RC of 0 in OPS/MVS

Posted Jun 02, 2016 04:01 AM

Marcel,

That does make sense. And I seem to remember reading about something like that. I appreciate everyone's help!

Cesar,

Apologies if my Customer/Site ID are showing. I reviewed my profile, I did not see my Customer or Site ID. Do you see it?

Regards,
    James Quint, Jr

• 8.  Re: CA OPS/MVS - Bad PING giving RC of 0 in OPS/MVS
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 03, 2016 09:17 AM

No worries James,

Your Customer/Site ID is not visible in this public discussion.

Since I asked you for it earlier I just wanted to make sure you do not provide it here as it is private info.

James, I want you to follow Marcel guidance on taking the execution of the PING command outside of AOF.

To do this please review the following KD document:

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1746277.aspx

The idea behind this KD is recommend all our client base to take automation that expects and uses the output of a command to be dispatched over a OSF Server instead of running it under the OPSMAIN region. See if this recommendation provides you with the desired results regardless the type of rule you wish to use.

Regards, Cesar