OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  How to Handle the monitoring of ALL CICS messages?

Posted Oct 05, 2015 12:16 PM

Is there anyone out there monitoring every CICS message that comes  out during one day?  If so how does OPS/MVS handle the extra traffic?   Do the message actions get pulled from an OPS/MVS RDF table or from an IBM file? 

• 2.  Re: How to Handle the monitoring of ALL CICS messages?

Posted Oct 08, 2015 05:12 PM

I don't believe we are handling every CICS message but we do handle a ton of CBR messages. The messages are related to our VTL unit and are broken down in one of the white papers. The whole situation lent itself to using RDF tables very well though I will maintain that the only CBR message related to the VTL that we need to care about is CBR3750I, we could troll the log for anything else but I digress. The whole thing was set up before I came along. Basically each message has severity and action codes and a notification e-mail is built using the information in the RDF tables. It actually works a little like Stateman but without the commands being issued.

• 3.  Re: How to Handle the monitoring of ALL CICS messages?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 05:51 AM

Thank you Travi - I was wondering if I could setup an RDF table to handle all the CICS messages.

• 4.  Re: How to Handle the monitoring of ALL CICS messages?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 07:51 AM

How would one setup the rule to reference the table? We can't use the MLWTO exec since the wild card doesn't work for the end character. 

• 5.  Re: How to Handle the monitoring of ALL CICS messages?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 09:26 AM

Well the RDF tables can just be accessed using SQL statements. I have found through setting up and using Stateman that the SQL piece isn't all that difficult and can be pretty useful. Chapter 3 of the Command and Function reference has more information on how to use SQL to access the tables. The CBR messages that we processed are broken down into 3 tables. One for the main message itself, one for the severity code and one for the action code. The main table then links to the severity code and action code. When the message rule fires it breaks down the message and determines what the message ID is and any other key pieces of information to identify it in the main table. Then it grabs the severity and action codes that are associated with it and grabs the information from the other two tables. Once all the information is gathered an e-mail is created and sent using either SMTP or JES2MAIL. This method works really well if you have multiple message ID's that you want to process with one rule or a single message ID that has many different forms of messages.

A solution to your MLWTO issue is to use the MSG.ENDLN AOF variable provided in MSG rules. The message rule is going to fire on each line of the MLWTO so each time it fires you store the message text in a global variable and use logic to check if it is an end line. If it is an end line then you can call a REXX and pass it the global variable stem. The REXX can then do whatever processing you need to do. I would suggest a temporary global variable of course  and I would probably clean it up at the end of the REXX if it isn't need to be kept.

• 6.  Re: How to Handle the monitoring of ALL CICS messages?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 09:31 AM

Thank you - I'll review this information you have presented to me and see I can get this process in place.  I would use the temp global and clean it afterwards as it isn't needed.  Thank you again for the help.

• 7.  Re: How to Handle the monitoring of ALL CICS messages?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 09:43 AM

One other piece I forgot to mention was the MSG.MULTILN AOF variable. This will allow you to determine it the message has multiple lines or not. It is useful if the message sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. The IOS000I message is like this and as I just realized, is the message rule which I am using all of these techniques for.

• 8.  Re: How to Handle the monitoring of ALL CICS messages?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 09:53 AM

I just stumbled onto the MSG.MULTILN AOF var. I was wondering if I could use that part also. Thank you again.

• 9.  Re: How to Handle the monitoring of ALL CICS messages?

Posted Dec 17, 2015 09:29 AM

Travi,

Thank you for this work around -I was able to create our tables and setup a nice rule that handles  either MULTIN or SINGLELN.