OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  Automation Point and Virtual Servers

Posted Sep 08, 2016 06:18 PM

Has anyone had success using Automation Point in a Virtual Server environment?  From other discussions it's apparent that telephony/vox cards will not work in this environment, but what about setting up an OSA-ICC TN3270 console?  Is it necessary to have that hardware connection to set up a Mainframe Console?

Thanks,

Steve

• 2.  Re: Automation Point and Virtual Servers

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 08, 2016 08:52 PM

Hi Steven,

You can certainly setup a connection to a TN3270 console using CA Automation Point running on a Virtual Server. However, you would indeed need to setup a TN3270 communication server on the mainframe, as well as define a console session in Automation Point on the outboard, virtual server. The console must also be defined on the mainframe host in the SYS1.PARMLIB library member.

Please read the following documentation for more details about communicating with the mainframe: Communicating with the Mainframe - CA Automation Point - 11.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

By the way, I have setup numerous VMs running AP in my lab in the past, and all of them had connections to mainframe consoles, so I know from experience that it can be done.

• 3.  Re: Automation Point and Virtual Servers

Posted Sep 09, 2016 07:41 AM

Steven,

We are doing this.  I think you have my contact info if you want to discuss. It's been a while since had been set up, so may take a bit to recall everything.

Sal