OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  Message Highlighting

Posted Jul 22, 2015 09:46 AM

Currently I have the PROPAGATEATTR parm turned on and am highlighting various messages with different colors. Unfortunately, I do not see anyway to make these messages non scrollable. I can use descriptor codes 1 and 2 but then I am stuck with red or white and that is almost as fun as green and black. This may be more of an IBM thing but I think it would be nice if there was a way to make any colored message non scrollable.

• 2.  Re: Message Highlighting

Posted Jul 22, 2015 11:43 AM

Hello Travi,

According to our documentation the statement MSG.DESC=OPSBITS('HILITE') should produce a red highlighted message that is non scrollable.

It should also set white color for WTORs type of messages making them non scrollable as well.

Trying to set other colors does not sem to have any effect. 

Is this describing your observations Travi?

Regards, Cesar

• 3.  Re: Message Highlighting

Posted Jul 22, 2015 12:44 PM

Basically yes. I have actually tried to use the OPSBITS('HILITE') but it never seemed to do anything OR maybe since it was just doing RED or WHITE it didn't SEEM like it was doing anything. We usually use MSG.DESC = OPSBITS('SYSFAIL') and OPSBITS('IMEDACTN') to hilite messages but recently I started playing with the MSG.COLOR attribute and thought it would be really nice to say gradiate the severity of messages. Yellow for caution, Red for severe, etc. but that only works if the operators can see the messages. Most of the time they will scroll off before they have a chance to see them.

• 4.  Re: Message Highlighting

Posted Jul 22, 2015 05:34 PM

Travi,

Ran some tests today in our labs and I was able to modify an existing message (as long as PROPAGATEATTR is set to yes since default is no) to yellow color, highlighted and non scrollable with a )MSG rule very similar to this:

MSG ***

)PROC                        

MSG.COLOR = OPSCOLOR('YELLOW')

MSG.DESC  = OPSBITS(11)

The key point here is that if you are using the OPSLOG records to confirm changes for the route or descriptor codes they will not be there caused they are cute before the rule fires and change them.

Also another key point here is that the console you are using to display themodified messages has to support extended attributes if the color is anything other than red, white, green or yellow.

Is worth also to check if your 3270 emulator software is not replacing colors with others that might be giving you a false reading on what the console is really using.

Hope this helps Travi otherwise just cut a ticket so we can take this offline

Regards, Cesar

• 5.  Re: Message Highlighting

Posted Jul 23, 2015 09:35 AM

Just tried this with the entire spectrum of colors and it worked with each of them. We have full color capabilities so TURQ, YELLOW, RED, WHITE, GREEN, BLUE and PINK are all available.

• 6.  Re: Message Highlighting

Posted Jul 23, 2015 09:58 AM

Hello Travi

Glad to hear the outcome of your tests were positive in your end.

In the future feel free to either open a new Customer Support case or continue using our Communities web site.

This is in case you need further assistance with any other product feature.

Was good to hear from you again in our Communities Travi.

Regards, Cesar