XCOM Data Transport

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Tuesday Tip: How to specify a long filename more than 80 bytes long when transferring from z/OS to other platforms

• 1.  Tuesday Tip: How to specify a long filename more than 80 bytes long when transferring from z/OS to other platforms

Posted Jul 30, 2014 02:26 AM

When transferring a file from XCOM for z/OS to another platform it may happen that and the filename does not fit into the line limitation of 80 bytes in SYSIN01. Take special care if the file name also contains blanks. So let's assume the name of the destination file for a transfer is:

C:\Documents and Settings\James D Smith\My Documents\This is a very long file name.txt

You can use the continuation character '+' to span the name over more than one line. Make sure that there is no blank before the '+'-sign and that the next line starts in columns 2 through 16. If you use only one pair of quotes the embedded blanks in the filename will cause a syntax error when parsing the line.

FILE="C:\Documents and Settings\+

James D Smith\+

My Documents\+

This is a very long file name.txt"

The Joblog will contain a message like this:

XCOMM0106E FILE=            END QUOTE MISSING OR INVALID LENGTH

XCOMM0105E       James D Sm... DATA INVALID

XCOMM0105E       My Documen... DATA INVALID

XCOMM0105E       This is a... DATA INVALID

XCOMM0116E REQUEST FAILED DUE TO ERRORS

So be sure to put every line into double quotes. Here is an example:

FILE="C:\Documents and Settings\James D Smith\"+

"My Documents\This is a very long file name.txt"

This example will work, too:

FILE="C:\Documents and Settings\"+

"James D Smith\"+

"My Documents\"+

"This is a very long file name.txt"

• 2.  Re: Tuesday Tip: How to specify a long filename more than 80 bytes long when transferring from z/OS to other platforms

Community Manager
    Posted Jul 30, 2014 12:13 PM

Thank you for posting this TT. If you can, please remember to tag these with "tips" and "tuesday tips" (no underscore) to help make them easier to find!

• 3.  Re: Tuesday Tip: How to specify a long filename more than 80 bytes long when transferring from z/OS to other platforms

Posted Aug 18, 2014 07:49 AM

Nice tip,  I am famliar with it, however, this tip is written very well and I intend to keep it handy!