ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  ESP API for phone calls into ESP?

Posted May 03, 2018 10:44 AM

Hi, We are running ESP on the mainframe and I have a user who is asking me if it would be possible to set up an API interface or something along those lines for a user to be able to call into ESP somehow and get a status of a job. Of course, this would be outside the ESP workstation GUI and outside any ISPF panels on the mainframe itself.

• 2.  Re: ESP API for phone calls into ESP?

Posted May 03, 2018 11:36 AM

Hi Stan, 

It is possible using the WEBPORT to issue a command to ESP and return values. Currently, we don't have an app that has this capability. This would be an enhancement request. 

I would guess that somewhere in the www appworld someone already has a generic CURL app that commands could be entered/sent to ESP and display results.... I haven't tried it. 

Don 

• 3.  Re: ESP API for phone calls into ESP?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 07, 2018 04:28 PM

Hi Nutt,

ESP (executable) in ESP loadlib (prefix.CD7YLOAD) can be used as API by third party software to run ESP commands. Like:

/* REXX CODE */
    X=OUTTRAP('A.')
    QUEUE "LDSN"
    QUEUE “END”
    "ESP SUB(sub_sys)"
    X=OUTTRAP('OFF')

Hope this helps,

Lucy

• 4.  Re: ESP API for phone calls into ESP?

Posted May 07, 2018 04:38 PM

Thanks Don and Lucy. I think my user is asking about having some kind of app on a phone that could be used to call into ESP and pick up job status, so I will pass this along. I don't know if an app could be used to issue REXX or whatever, but I will let him know.

• 5.  Re: ESP API for phone calls into ESP?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2018 09:04 AM

Hi Nutt,

I think Rick (see below) gave a good solution: ESP can send an Email to the user who can check it anytime.

The REXX as my example needs to run on mainframe.

Lucy

• 6.  Re: ESP API for phone calls into ESP?

Posted May 08, 2018 08:28 AM

Not sure if I understand what the user is looking for. 

What does the user want to know, when the jobs starts/ends?

Is the user planning on taking action or is this an FYI?

Would using a NOTIFY statement on the Job provide the user what they want?

If it does, you could set up a MAILBOX to send them an email, which they could read on the phone.

• 7.  Re: ESP API for phone calls into ESP?

Posted May 08, 2018 09:05 AM

From what I'm gathering from this conversation, it sounds like the customer is wanting some kind of integration with an IVR system like this:

1. User dials a number and gets the following answer, "Welcome to ESP.  To get the status of a job, press 1. . .

2. User presses 1 and gets "Please speak the name of your job. . . "

3.  User says, "CW940X01" and gets something like, "Job CW940X01 completed successfully at 09:00 AM. . . "

If my little scenario here is correct, then the customer may be looking for some type of web service integration or something like that.  Of course, I could be wrong, and we would certainly want to make sure we include the part where the IVR says, "para continuar en espanol oprima dos!"

<JC>

• 8.  Re: ESP API for phone calls into ESP?

Posted May 08, 2018 09:13 AM

Hi lucy, Rick,

Yes what Lucy has described is what the user was asking about. I actually didn't understand my user at first. I told him we could always do a NOTIFY with an email and use sms to some kind of texting when a job failed, but he didn't want that. He wanted to know if there was an API interface that would allow someone to call in from their phone to ESP and get a job status like what Lucy is talking about.

• 9.  Re: ESP API for phone calls into ESP?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2018 10:07 AM

Hi Nutt,

If ESP as API doesn't work for your user, you may post an idea for enhancement request.

Lucy

• 10.  Re: ESP API for phone calls into ESP?

Posted May 09, 2018 08:45 AM

Hi Stan, 

The Restful interface would be the one to use.  The ESP app that runs on a phone does not exist.

As I memtioned. I think an existing curl interface (freeware) could be used.  

OR

An alternative thought. The data could be stored in a database (Oracle or DB2) using the Report Server. Those tools may have query capability to access the data from a phone.