SYSVIEW Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Updating SYSVIEW Fundamentals Training - Dazzling Interactivity, Just the Facts, or a Bit of Both?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 12, 2022 10:58 AM
    Our existing SYSVIEW web-based training consists of multiple modules, ranging from 5 minutes to 45 minutes. The modules include a handful of videos. BUT. . .

We have an opportunity to update the SYSVIEW fundamentals/intermediate training in 2022-2023. I'm thinking it would be a good time to change things up a bit--make it more targeted and easier to consume. So tell me. . .

When you are learning to use a product, what do you look for? Short, task-specific modules? Videos?

When it comes to the content, do you want engaging and interactive, or are you more of a "just the facts" learner? Perhaps a bit of both?

Thanks for your input!

------------------------------
    Instructional Designer
    Broadcom
    Lisle, IL

• 2.  RE: Updating SYSVIEW Fundamentals Training - Dazzling Interactivity, Just the Facts, or a Bit of Both?

Posted May 13, 2022 10:56 AM
    Hi, I think the task specific short videos can be quite useful. The overall deep dive training is needed but task specific clips becomes something a lot easier and visual to refer to.

• 3.  RE: Updating SYSVIEW Fundamentals Training - Dazzling Interactivity, Just the Facts, or a Bit of Both?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2022 11:42 AM
    Hi David,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, particularly your observation that there is value to be had in the short, task- specific clips and deeper dives.

Thinking aloud here. . .I could build out a series of 1-2 minute, task-specific clips for a product function, and bundle them into 15 minutes of web-based training that includes additional context. I could also cross-post the clips to YouTube. Someone who is brand-new to the product could go to the training for the larger context, and then just pop into YouTube for the "Now how do I do XYZ" moments.

Curious too -- when it comes to deep-dive training, what typically has worked best for you? For example, have you found in-person classroom or virtual training to be more effective than, say, web-based training that is more static in nature?

Don't mean to take up  your whole day here :) I appreciate the input that you provided. It really does help us out. 

Instructional Designer
    Broadcom
    Lisle, IL

• 4.  RE: Updating SYSVIEW Fundamentals Training - Dazzling Interactivity, Just the Facts, or a Bit of Both?

Posted Jun 01, 2022 03:28 PM
    Hello Amy, 
    The short task specific trainings are a fantastic idea and look forward to those. I know one things that would be really helpful for me at lease is Unix System services displays. Quick review of what all could be done with the USS panels and how to use them to perform USS related tasks. 

As for deep dive training in person or web ex training with a trainer is great because I can ask questions. With most people now after covid working from home I think webex or virtual training works great and to me just as good as in person. Though I do miss doing the Technical conferences in person. For me just a better way of building a great relationship with people I will be working with in the future. 

Thanks
    James

• 5.  RE: Updating SYSVIEW Fundamentals Training - Dazzling Interactivity, Just the Facts, or a Bit of Both?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2022 09:41 AM
    Hi James,

Thank you for your response and providing specific suggestions to my questions. I really appreciate it. I'll look for some opportunities to include some examples in the training.

In the interim, I found some information regarding the USS displays in the product doc that might be of interest.

And thank you for sharing your insight regarding instructor-led training. We're always trying to gauge which content is better received in-person vs online and every piece  of feedback helps.

Oh, and in case you haven't seen it yet, we've got our next Mainframe Technical Exchange set for October 4-6. 

Regards,

Amy

Instructional Designer
    Broadcom
    Lisle, IL

• 6.  RE: Updating SYSVIEW Fundamentals Training - Dazzling Interactivity, Just the Facts, or a Bit of Both?

Posted Jun 07, 2022 08:02 AM
    Hi Amy,

Apologies for my slow reply here as I missed seeing your original reply and didn't come back to the thread.

For deep dive training I like James's suggestion below. What could work well for something like that would be small workshops with even 2/3 people along with a trainer to cover a set range of topics in a session.

Thanks,
    David

• 7.  RE: Updating SYSVIEW Fundamentals Training - Dazzling Interactivity, Just the Facts, or a Bit of Both?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2022 09:26 AM
    No worries, David. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and sharing your thoughts about small workshops being a good fit for deep-dive topics.

Instructional Designer
    Broadcom
    Lisle, IL