ESP Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Work with NOTIFY statements

• 1.  Work with NOTIFY statements

Posted Apr 30, 2019 01:45 PM

Guys,

We have 50 jobs created in one prefix and each job has two NOTIFY MAILBOX statements. One MAILBOX is common in all the jobs to email Operations group when job fails, and other NOTIFY statement to alert the job owner group (job owner group differs between each job). Now, we would like to add another NOTIFY ALERT statement to all jobs to create a ticket to common group when a job fails. 

Is there a way we can add this NOTIFY ALERT statement in SYMLIB member instead of each job definition since ESPx ignores the NOTIFY statements in PROC Level if the statements exists in job level ?

• 2.  Re: Work with NOTIFY statements

Posted Apr 30, 2019 02:41 PM

Which Workload Automation manager?

• 3.  Re: Work with NOTIFY statements

Posted Apr 30, 2019 02:44 PM

Hello Rick,

Question belongs to CA Workload automation EE (ESP).

• 4.  Re: Work with NOTIFY statements

Posted Apr 30, 2019 02:52 PM

Hi, 

The SYMLIB would not work. It will have the same behavior as if it was at the top of the appl. 

I am a little unclear of the scenario. You would like 3 different groups notified when the job fails? 

• 5.  Re: Work with NOTIFY statements

Posted Apr 30, 2019 02:55 PM

Hello Don,

Yes, want to notify 3 groups. 2 statements are common for all jobs and 1 will differ. 

Is there a way I can add 2 common notify statements globally ?

• 6.  Re: Work with NOTIFY statements

Posted Apr 30, 2019 04:02 PM

Hi, 

You are correct. The NOTIFY at the job level will override the ones at the application level. There is no simple way around this. 

In this case it might be best to move the NOTIFYs to the job level. Other methods to accomplish this get more complex. 

• 7.  Re: Work with NOTIFY statements
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2019 08:56 AM

Hi Santhosh,

Your post will be moved to the new link for ESP user community:

https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-mainframe-workload-automation/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublished%5D~category%5Bca-workload-automation-esp-edition%5D

I wonder if you have used TEMPLATE feature before, it can simplify changes like this. Basically you can define ONE TEMPLATE for similar JOB definitions, then if you need to add one NOTIFY statement for those jobs, you only need to add it once to the TEMPLATE. See the doc link below for more detail:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/11-4/en/reference/statements/template-statement-set-templates

Thank you,

Lucy

• 8.  Re: Work with NOTIFY statements

Posted May 02, 2019 09:54 AM

Hi Santhosh, 

I would suggest that you end up with 3 NOTIFY statements in each job. As you have found the global one(s) will  be overridden by the one(s) at the job level.  

• 9.  Re: Work with NOTIFY statements

Posted May 17, 2019 11:26 AM

As Lucy Zhang suggested, I have setup the templates and put them in SYMLIB. My template has common mailboxes as hardcoded and app related are invoking through the proc member.

I was able to test the changes successfully and seems everything fine.

• 10.  Re: Work with NOTIFY statements

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 17, 2019 12:42 PM

Hi Santhosh,

Thank you for your feedback.

I won't be surprised if you become addictive to TEMPLATE feature.

Best regards,

Lucy