Intel,Altiris Group

Part 1 - Configure Intel AMT Before Integrating into Altiris 

Aug 25, 2011 11:28 AM

Did you know that configuration of Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) can occur outside of the Altiris environment?   Did you know that the underlying configuration software is updated with new features\capabilities for the latest generation firmware?

In recent months a similar set of questions have been asked.    In this six part video series, some insights are shared on how to configure Intel AMT outside of the Altiris environment.  

The first video provides an introduction, some disclaimers, benefits\risks, etc.  

Please Note:  First try to configure Intel AMT within the Altiris framework with Symantec support before pursuing this approach.

A few reasons to try this approach which I do not specifically mention in the video include the following:

• On Intel AMT 6 and higher systems - the firmware supports Dynamic DNS updates but the Intel SCS 5.4 software in Altiris 7.1 does not apply this setting.    This may be a reason to use Intel SCS 7.1 in a standalone mode
  • Starting with Intel AMT 6.2, a new configuration option called "Host Based Configuration" or "Client Control Mode" was introduced.   In summary - it allows the firmware to be configured via a simple software delivery job.   More information later in the series
  • Customers with Deployment Server 6.x environments and have not yet moved to the Altiris 7.1 Notification Server based environment may want to configure and utilize Intel AMT.  
  • After successfully configuring system with native tools in Altiris 7.1, a specific feature needs to be enabled or disabled.   Intel SCS 7.1 supports a concept called "Delta Configuration" to apply post-configuration settings.    (Note: That is how I enabled the "fast call for help" for intranet feature shown in a previous video)

I look forward to your comments and inputs as you go through the series

The opinions expressed on this site are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or strategies of Intel Corporation or its worldwide subsidiaries

Download for viewing: Right click the link below and choose "save link as"

See Part 2 - Configure Intel AMT Before Integrating Into Altiris

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Apr 05, 2012 07:47 PM

On Monday April 9, 2012 - Intel SCS 8 will be released for public download.    See http://www.intel.com/go/scs   

This new version has a number of benefits - database is brought back, improved scale\performance, etc.

PLUS - At the URL above will be a link to "Intel SCS 8 Deployment Guide".    This guide is intended to cover more than 80% of the common questions via a structured approach to configuring Intel AMT.

Check it out!

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.