ITMS Administrator Group

View Only

pcAnywhere Solution EOL 

Mar 03, 2015 10:12 AM

As part of the IT Management Suite 7.6 release on March 2, 2015, the End-of-Life (EOL) for pcAnywhere Solution was announced. Consequently, pcAnywhere console integration is removed during the ITMS 7.6 upgrade. However, the pcAnywhere application is not removed and will continue to function without a license. New installations of ITMS version 7.6 do not include pcAnywhere.

Symantec has also partnered with Bomgar to provide two Remote Support licenses for in-depth evaluation. A new feature of ITMS 7.6 allows you to integrate Bomgar Remote Support into the r-click menu of the ITMS console.

Please see the attached FAQ for more details and also visit www.bomgar.com/pcanywhere.

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
1 Downloads
Attachment(s)
pdf file
pcAnywhere Solution and Bomgar FAQ.pdf   149 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Mar 16, 2020

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Feb 16, 2016 12:09 PM

Thanks for sharing this.  Good info.  Now that we've been with Bomgar for a year, I can also say I'm really impressed with their support.  Only have had 2 weird issues and they called me back almost immediately and were ready and willing to remote in and get to the bottom of both.  I wish we had given up on PCAnywhere way earlier now

Feb 13, 2016 01:25 PM

Excellent comparison.  Thank you for sharing. 

Feb 12, 2016 06:48 PM

If you have HEAT help desk Bomgar integrate beautifully with it - even has a tab in the help desk. Keeps the history of all chats in HEAT also. 

I just finished my Bake off comparison of Bomgar, Citrix GoToAssist and LogMeIn Rescue. With 2 week roll out of each product. Bomgar won by a long shot. The HEAT integration and AD integration was fantastic. 

LogMeIN Rescue was the rudest and pushiest sales rep I have encountered in 25 years. The Tech SE was pretty good but the Sales rep was unbelievable. Kept asking for my management and was a I really authorized to make a decision. Fired her and said never call me again cc to district sales manager. 

High points of Bomgar - Ad integration, Automated user adds and deletes, automated workflows available, custom workflows available for techs to use during session, remote shadowing, transfer of session, playback of session, unlimited install of remote client, web version of connection for external machines and users, 2 factor authentication, mobile, and more. Connection speeds 10-15 seconds internal or external.  Great sales reps and tech support. Very nice to work with 

Price for 5 on site appliance 5 years was same as CItrix GoToAssist! ITS really worked with us on this one. Year one was high – year 2-5 is really good

Citrix GoToAssist

very nice lightweight cloud based remote connection app, easy setup - however no AD integration, which means manual set up of users. Level of customization is not to the level of Bomgar, User Enrollment is VERY easy, very fast to establish remote connection – under 10 seconds in some cases, fast screen display –bomgar was fast but gotoassist was a little faster. Great sales and tech guys. If you have Citrix in shop already price is pretty killer. - cost was like $1000 list a concurrent admin - I got better price due to our size and contracts. 

LogMeIn Rescue

Cloud Based, no Ad integration well it could if you installed an open source application on your AD server ! security group was horrified at this, External sessions were fast – however because it installs a web part at every remote connection it was slow internal due to our internal security restrictions. We saw up to 180second connection times internally. Externally it was 10 seconds. Web Console for admins was clunky – no ad integration meant everything was hand setup.Killed Pilot on second day due to internal connection speeds at start and also due to session speed during session.

Cost was 2.5 times what GotoAssist was – same as Bomgar for first year and then that price every year after wards. – think $2400 a user list  

Feb 12, 2016 05:31 PM

*Mods, you can delete this comment - I merged its contents with the previous comment.

Feb 12, 2016 05:23 PM

Thank you!  This allowed me to make some progress.  Somehow in our upgrade from 7.5 to 7.6 these were uninstalled (or maybe I missed a checkbox along the way).  At any rate, I can now import the xml file.

Still doesn't work, though.  When I right-click on a PC that has a jump client installed and go to Remote Access > Bomgar Jump Client, I get the following error:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<error>Invalid operation.</error>

I've tried using the template provided in the CMS User Manual ch. 8 (thank you for the reference, BTW), and noticed that Symantec forgot to properly close out their <remoteTools> tag.  I was able to import their configuration (changing support.example.com to match the FQDN of our own Bomgar box) and got the same error as above.

Edit:

I fiddled with it until I thought that IE might be screwed up somehow (it's happened with other applications of ours before).  I reset IE to default settings and then the XML above worked like a charm.  I've added MS Remote Assistance and RDP to the menu just for testing.  

I've attached the XML file to this post in case anyone wants to use or modify it.

Feb 11, 2016 01:32 PM

Hi,

Using the Remote Access Connector is the official solution to integrate any third-party remote control tool. Documentation about the Remote Access Connector is available in the CMS User Guide (chapter 8).

The guidelines in this article should be good to go for Bomgar integration.

The option for Remote Access Connector comes with the installation of IT Management Suite or Client Management Suite 7.6, do you have any of these installed? I don't think it is included with only Asset Management Suite or Server Management Suite (or installation of solutions seperately should this be the case..).

You could also check in Symantec Installation Manager whether you have the 'Symantec Remote Access Connector Solution' installed or not.

kr, dawi_x

Feb 11, 2016 12:54 PM

Already looked through the walkthrough mentioned in that post, and it doesn't work - I get a notification to download (or open) an aspx file from our ITMS server, but clicking on Open, Save, or Cancel makes no difference - they all do nothing.  

I guess I'll call support. Very disappointed that neither Symantec or Bomgar has official documentation on this (or at least documentation that's easy to find), as Bomgar is their suggested replacement for pcA.  Why would they form a partnership with a lot of hoopla and "Hooray for us!  Look what we've done for you!" and then not provide documentation for integration?

Feb 11, 2016 11:54 AM

It seems like they removed it. Here is another option: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/remote-tool-integration-within-console

You might want to talk to support to get confirmation.

Feb 10, 2016 07:31 PM

Is there an official way to integrate Bomgar into ITMS?  I've Googled for a while and have not found an official walkthrough.  This guide tells me to go to Settings > Console > Remote Tool Integration, but the option doesn't exist in my 7.6 environment.  I've been to Bomgar's site which demos how to use the integration, but has nil regarding HOW to integrate Bomgar.  I've read this article from Nov. 2014, but the string doesn't work (ITMS always wants to append "http://" on the front, which screws it up.

SYMANTEC: Is there a walkthrough or guide on how to integrate the product you've chosen to replace pcA?  Or are we supposed to just figure that out ourselves?

Nov 19, 2015 10:01 AM

hi

the only integration is from the web console?

Oct 13, 2015 11:33 AM

We also just got budget approval to go with Bomgar, it's pricey but hopefully it's well worth it. One thing to note that was kind of disapointing is that they charge the first year of maintenance in the first year, they're the only company I've worked with that does that.

Oct 13, 2015 10:34 AM

We moved to Bomgar and love it.  Working on budget and realizing that there is a maintenance fee to stay current with versions and get support.  Kind of disappointing on top of the Symantec renewal in retrospect.

Jul 08, 2015 09:01 AM

Hi there,

You can still maintain pcA if wanted. Please take a look: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO110286

Regards.

Jul 07, 2015 04:24 PM

I'll be looking for a different solution for our organization.

Shame though, I liked using PCA.

Apr 21, 2015 04:39 AM

Yes, Bomgar is an appliance-based solution.

Apr 21, 2015 02:30 AM

Customer is require to install an appliance in order to use Bomgar remote tool?

Mar 31, 2015 08:47 AM

Hi STHN,

The licences are concurrent ones. You get the virtual appliance, VMware OVA and your two licences.

In order to request them here is where you should ask :

http://www.bomgar.com/pcanywhere/

Regards

Mar 31, 2015 08:42 AM

concurrent = at the same time.

Meaning if you have two people log to the rep console at the same time. The time out can be set lower that one hour. 5 min if you want for EX.

But the best is to makr sure that Tech logs out when done.

Regards

Stephan Rissac

ALTES Informatique

Mar 12, 2015 05:37 PM

Setting Up Bomgar With The Altiris 7.6 Right Click

1.       Copy the following text below into notepad and save as "Bomgar.xml" (the text between the  “----“)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<remoteTools>

<remoteTool Name="Bomgar Jump Client">

<API type="HTTP">

<URL>https://intuitive.bomgar.com/api/client_script?type=rep&amp;operation=generate&amp;action=start_pinned_client_session&amp;search_string=</URL>

</API>

</remoteTool>

</remoteTools>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.       Next open the Altiris Console.

3.       On the top bar of the Altiris web console select Settings

4.       Then click on Console, then click on Remote Tool Integration, then select Import Configuration

integration_pic1_0.png

Now you can right click on a computer that has the Bomgar Jump Client and connect.

integration_pic1_0.png

*If Internet Explorer is prompting you to open the file each and every time you can fix that by following this article:

http://jwcooney.com/2014/03/31/remove-internet-explorer-open-or-save-popup/

Mar 12, 2015 01:13 PM

Will our annual Altiris maintenance costs be decreasing as a result of pcAnywhere going away? If I can use savings from that to purchase additional BOMGAR licenses that shouldn't be an issue.

Mar 12, 2015 08:18 AM

Under what circumstances would you not want it as short as possible?

Mar 12, 2015 06:30 AM

From my experience using Bomgar enterprise standalone, you choose the timing for your session to expire. Does this happen with Altiris?

Mar 11, 2015 04:20 PM

The FAQ link is missing.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/Bomgar%20and%20pcAnywhere%20Solution%20FAQ%20-%20Final.pdf 

"Page not Found"

Mar 11, 2015 03:30 PM

Can we get the definition of "concurrent?".

I've heard the timeout or usage could be as high as 1 hour?  So if tech 1 connects at 12:00pm, and tech 2 connects at 12:05pm, tech 3 won't be able to use the solution until 1:00pm.

Mar 11, 2015 01:40 PM

Bomgar integrates with ITMS through an XML file you export from Bomgar and import into Altiris. within the XML you will have to verify or designate the website address of your bomgar site.  As for the licensing Conversion there really is not one.  It would have been more practical from a licensing standpoint to use a ratio method (understanding that the licensing model is changing)  A ratio method would still be more practical not only for the smaller customers but the larger ones as well.  Even if the ratio was 1 Bomgar license to 100 or 500 existing nodes.  For those who do not already own bomgar they probably haven't budgeted for now the additional cost of the Bomgar licenses/support and this is unfortunate.  I agree with others when you set a standard of 2 licenses per customer this is really just a teaser and will require customers to buy more licenses regardless (doesn't seem like a fair trade) especially for the larger clients with several thousand nodes.

As for continuing to use PCAnywhere, you will have to clone all the policies and configuration settings prior to upgrading to 7.6 or you will loose those policies to push and update configurations I believe.  This was my understanding from the User Summit last week anyway.

Mar 09, 2015 11:55 AM

Hello,

i have a short question to the FAQ.

In point 10. it says that if we want to use pcAnywhere under 7.6 we have to "Create a host configuration file update policy if you intend to update the configuration file while pcAnywhere hosts are still in your environment."

Is this described anywhere? Or has somebody already did this to his enviroment?

We are in the situation that we want to use pcAnywhere on our clients till we got a new remote assistent tool.. And we have to install it on new clients aswell.

Thank you for your help.

With regards Kevin

Mar 05, 2015 11:05 PM

In our organization we have never used pcAnywhere.  In the 8 years I've been doing this Dameware has been our go to choice.  It's latest version, Solarwinds Dameware 11, has been simple to set up in an enterprise environment.  I also like that I can disable the function of remoting in to computers not on our network as this is not tomething we can do.  Does the Bomgar tool have this option?

I'd also like to add that with SW Dameware 11 our licensing is 25 named administrators and this cost us under $5000 (can't remember exact amount.)  For us with 2500 clients, this license count works perfectly.  At any given time 5-10 of the 25 will have an active session.  I think Symantec really is just throwing a bone here treating my 2500 client license the same as an organization with 25000.  This really should have been thought out better, rather than oh please dont be mad at us...

Mar 05, 2015 04:11 AM

Have to agree with Brandon and SKHS.  This doesn't seem to have been thought out with any consideration for the customer.  I can't see many orginisations that have invested time and money in ITMS having a service desk that will be happy with only two concurrent remote connections.

Mar 05, 2015 03:11 AM

If its not integrated you might as well shop about for an alternative that gives you more for your money. Theres plenty out there. Seems a token gesture from Symantec, rather than just saying we're dropping pcA and saying "see ya suckers"!

Mar 04, 2015 10:48 PM

Hi regarding the persistent part it can be configure.

Mar 04, 2015 04:28 PM

Well it seems unfair to treat a customer of 300 nodes and 30000 nodes same (provide 2 lic of Bomgar). Plus have to manage a separat tool set for remote contol. This is opposit to pitch of Altiris (using single tool to manage everything). 

Mar 04, 2015 03:09 PM

So has anyone figured out how BOMGAR is "integrated" yet? My install shows nothing besides the option to import some XML to point to an external exe which then runs a bat file to launch the 3rd party client (This is a convoluted web implementation of RemoteControlTools.ini).

Will I need a new VM server or appliance for this? According to the BOMGAR site for this partnership I will.

So now only two support staff on a large help desk can access BOMGAR concurrently and we are expected to purchase additional licenses to keep using a system we already pay maintenance on? I’m waiting to hear back on our entitlement options from BOMGAR but I'm sure that will convert us from an Altiris maintenance budget to an SCCM CAL budget in no time with our management. We are held hostage to using 7.5 because of this change so what incentive is there to even continue future Altiris maintenance? These should have been converted at 1:100 clients or something.

The BOMGAR product looks really good, but the way it's being partnered with Symantec looks worrisome. I'm surprised the angry mob hasn't formed on this one yet.

Mar 04, 2015 12:15 PM

The demo they just gave us at the 7.6 expo showed no intergration with the console

Mar 04, 2015 06:09 AM

Thank you SK. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I see interesting discussions with our customers coming :)

Mar 04, 2015 06:08 AM

I think Bomgar will be integrated further in the future.

Mar 04, 2015 03:23 AM

We have tested Bomgar Virtual Appliance for a while and I can say that in some cases Bomgar is more useful then pcAnywhere. Additionaly, Bomgar could work with endpoints outside corporate network.

But for today the only way to integrate Bomgar with ITMS is a right-click action (built-in in 7.6, as far as I know). This action runs Bomgar client application like pcA Quick Connect.
And there is no way to do any Bomgar configuration from SMP console. So customer will have to use 2 different web applications: one to work with SMP and another to use Bomgar reports, change its configuration, etc.

Mar 03, 2015 04:33 PM

2 concurrent connections is nothing in a large environment! Plus the connections can remain persistent after admin logs off and prevent others from logging on. Just talked to bomgar rep at the 7.6 user summit at lunch. 

Mar 03, 2015 02:32 PM

The FAQ says that they are two concurrent administrator licenses. 

Bomgar is licensed on a per concurrent administrator basis. Regardless of the number of endpoints in an environment the administrator connecting to an endpoint is what consumes the license on a concurrent basis. For example, if you have 6 admins that need to access machines remotely but only two will be used at a time, then only two licenses are needed.

Mar 03, 2015 02:27 PM

It is nice to see that after so many years of making this recommnedation to various powers at be within Symantec when I was an employee, that they have finally decided to go with Bomgar. 

Mar 03, 2015 01:45 PM

Skipping the part where I would like to discuss how frustrating this is after waiting over a year for Windows 8 / 8.1 support... I have some questions:

"ITMS, CMS, and DS customers with active maintenance are entitled to receive two free Bomgar Remote Support licenses and one year of maintenance."

• What does "two licenses" include - Installations or simultaneous connections?
  • How do customers receive those licenses?

I look forward to your answer.

Thanks in advance!

STHN

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.