Washington DC Security User Group

View Only

Solution For Disconnecting Systems From the Network While Upgrading from Symantec Endpoint Protection v11 to v12 after SEPM v11-to-v12 Upgrade 

Oct 04, 2011 11:36 AM

Description

When upgrading from SEP v11 to v12 after upgrading SEPM v11 to v12, we experienced loss of network connectivity. The system could not be identified.  The following were attempted without any success:

• Remove new v12 using Symantec-provided "removal tool".
  • Re-installed v11 after complete removal.
  • Ensure that the "Upgrade settings" option was set to "Remove all previous logs and policies, and reset the client-server communications settings".

SEP v12 was also installed on a brand new system in order to observe behavior that was none-upgrade related.  Results were still the same.

Symptoms:

In addition to loss of network connectivity, the following symptoms were experienced:

• Client would not load on task bar.
  • When attempt was made to initialized, it gave error indicating that pertinent services had stopped and needed to be restarted.
  • Attempts to restart "Symantec..." services failed with error.

Solution:

There seems to be a lingering option from v11 that needs to be disabled in order to make v12 work.  This is found under "Application and Device Control Policies" and make sure "Protect client files and registry keys" is "unchecked".  You also have to follow these steps when manually installing the v12 client:

• Login to system as administrator.
  • Lower the "User Account Control" to "Never Notify" while installing.
  • Move the v12 installer from server to local system.
  • Right-click on the v12 client installer and "Run as administrator".
  • Re-boot as often as requested by install.

Your v12 client should now run as expected.

10/20/11 Update:

The SEPM v11 to v12 upgrade did not end up working for us.  A new SEPM v12 install was done on a new server, recreating previously configured policies.  This worked flawlessly, and as a result have now almost completed all PC-based system SEP upgrades from v11 to v12.  Focus will soon shift to Macs.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Aug 11, 2017 10:26 AM

Same thing happening on version 14. This is ridiculous - get it sorted Symantec.

2 of my PC's have lost Local Area network connection when upgrading from version 14.01 to 14.02.

I uninstalled symantec and get the LAN connection back.

Nov 14, 2011 04:03 AM

It's needed that more customers has to comment about issues

Oct 21, 2011 10:02 AM

Yes, my understading is that the issue will be addressed in soon-to-be-released new 12.x version.  In our case, we really needed to get the new version going quickly and thus the reason for the approach.

Thank you for sharing.

Oct 21, 2011 06:34 AM

I've used tha chance to spoke about this problem with Paul Murgatroyd and he told me it will be fixed in the next couple of versions of SEP12.1. The Software will identify these Settings from tamper Protecion (SEP11) and will change all the stuff in SymProtect (SEP12.1)

Oct 20, 2011 04:20 AM

Thanks for sharing this helpfull information.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.