The Symantec Management Agent (SMA) calculates the Primary User based on the length of time a user has been logged onto a machine.
How is the primary user calculated?
- AeXUserMonitorLog.xml stores the history of user sessions
- SMA calculate primary user prior to basic inventory update
- takes all the old sessions from XML, adjusts them to 28 day limit
- takes all the current sessions from Windows, adjusts them to 28 day limit
- sums up durations of all the sessions for each user and selects the user with the longest duration as the primary user
- install directory of the Symantec Management Agent
This is made up of
<Log utc_lastloggedon="2018-09-11 19:18:14 -6:00" utc_year="2018" utc_month="9" utc_day="16" duration="398289" userID="MyDomain\John_Doe"/>
This fills in the following Table:
The calculations use a value that can be updated in the Registry:
Default Value 28
Another table is then updated via Basic Inventory
||Value (some as example)
||Sets 28 day limit, can be changed at any time. No SMA restart is needed
||Holds the currently selected primary user
You can use this information in your Reports by adding the Data Class 'AeX AC Primary User' or the above 'Inv' table.
SELECT * FROM Inv_AeX_AC_Primary_User
You can use the _ResourceGuid to join to the Computer table.
Many people use this information to then set the "Asset Owner" to be the "Primary User".
This has been know to have issues:
How the Asset Owner association works
CMDB task "Assign Computer's Ownership to be the Primary User" fails to work
Understanding Primary User Calculation Methods in 8.x
Primary User Calculation Methods NS 6.0
Understanding Primary User in Notification Server 6.0 SP2 and SP3
Change the primary user
When is the Primary User calculated?