Deployment and Imaging Group

View Only

Putting It All Together Videos: DS 7.1 Hardware Independent Imaging P2 [1st Half] 

Aug 08, 2013 11:36 AM

Uhh - after further review, I've decided to re-release this video and I'm working on an update.  Consider this a draft.  It's a little chaotic in direction and I'd like to add a few things.  We'll be updating this soon.

Taht said, here is, finally, a deep-dive into DA and how it works, along with how to troubleshoot it.  Mostly the latter.  There are several things however that you should be aware of to go along with this video, and it's kind of important, so please read this and pay attention.

First, this is the first of 2 for this video.  I made a 32 minute presentation, and ran out of space.  The forums have a hard size limit of 250 megs, and for me to make this fit under that made the screens almost impossible to read, so I cut it up into 2 parts.  It was my only choice so you could get a complete presentation.  Yes, it will be a little awkward to watch, but it's not too bad.  I overlapped about 30 seconds so you could pick up, sort of, where you left off when you get to the second video.

The second half can be found here: Putting It All Together Videos: DS 7.1 Hardware Independent Imaging P2 [2nd Half]

Second, there are some documents you really should have at hand to help you understand DA.  The main one is the tech article I mention in the video which includes a break-down of HOW DA does things, whereas this video is more about troubleshooting: TECH186664

Finally, I mentioned a couple of scripts in the video I figured I should post for if you wanted to use them.  These are included below:

A Script to run DA Manually

net use z: \\%TASKSERVER%\Deployment /user:domain\user user_password
Z:
cd\ 
cd \Task Handler\ghost\x86
DeployAnywhere.exe /target=D:\ /ddb="Z:\Task Handler\DriversDB"
copy da_logs.txt "x:\program files\altiris\altiris agent\logs\"
pause
rem net use z: /d /y

Code for the %TASKSERVER% token used in the above script (You'll need to Create this token under Settings | Deployment | Tokens)

select c.name from TaskTargetDeviceCache vc 
left outer join Inv_Client_Task_Resources ctr on ctr._ResourceGuid = vc.Guid 
   And vc.Guid = '%COMPUTERID%' 
left outer join Inv_Client_Task_Servers cts on cts.ClientTaskServerGuid = ctr.ClientTaskServerGuid 
Join vcomputer c on cts._ResourceGuid = c.guid

A script to capture the logs for later review (VBScript task)

Dim fso, f, WshShell, WshNetwork, oDrives, vMap, LogsFolder, NewFolder, Prod, Destination, AdminAcct, AdminPwd

AdminAcct = "domain\account_with_rights"     'Must have rights to map a drive back to NSCap
AdminPwd = "acct_password"                   'Associated password to the above account

' Most Win7 Systems have a recovery partition, so Prod would be D: instead of C
Prod = "d:"
LogsFolder = "z:\AutomationLogs"            'Folder under NSCap to store the logs on the NS/SMP

NewFolder = "%COMPNAME%_" & Replace("%NOW%",":",".")
Destination = LogsFolder & "\" & NewFolder
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")

vMap = "Yes"
Set oDrives = WshNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives
  For i = 0 to oDrives.Count - 1 Step 2
    IF oDrives.Item(i) = "z:" THEN vMap = "No"
  Next
IF vMap = "Yes" THEN WshNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\%NSSERVER%\NSCap", ,AdminAcct ,AdminPwd
If (fso.FolderExists(LogsFolder)) Then 
  Else 
    fso.CreateFolder(LogsFolder)
  End If
fso.CreateFolder(Destination)

On Error Resume Next

fso.Copyfolder Prod & "\Windows\Panther", Destination & "\Panther"                'MiniSetup or SOI troubleshooting
fso.copyfolder "x:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Logs", Destination         'for DS 7.1
fso.copyfolder "x:\Program Files\Symantec\Deployment\Logs", Destination & "\Logs" 'for DS 7.5
fso.copyfile "x:\ghosterr.txt", Destination & "\"                                 'Ghost troubleshooting

WshNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "Z:"

Code for the %NOW% token used in the collecting logs script:

SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR(26), GETDATE(), 109)

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.