Endpoint Management Solutions Beta Community

Expand all | Collapse all

ITMS 7.1 - Installing the new Silverlight UI w/o Installing DS

• 1.  ITMS 7.1 - Installing the new Silverlight UI w/o Installing DS

Posted 12-26-2010 11:38 AM

There was a forum thread a month or so ago where a user was unable to use the Silverlight UI inside of ITMS 7.1. It turns out that the user did not select DS components as part of the installation of 7.1 and apparently the new UI (Activity Center) is chained to DS.

Anyway, if you really don't want to install DS, the below instructions should be able to install Activity Center without it.

1. Open up a command  prompt on the server
    2. Go to the directory where the SIM installation files are located (C:\program files\altiris\symantec installation manager\Installs\Altiris is the location for my system)
    3. Run the following command:
    4. msiexec /i altiris_activitycenter_7_1x64.msi SKIPAIM=1 /qb /l*v actlog.txt
    5. I created the file actlog.txt prior to running the command. The MSI will write its logs to that file. The name is arbitrary.

UPDATE: Per Steffen's comments:

after the installation of the file, you'll also have to execute the command "aexconfig.exe /configueall" in this folder:

<INSTALLPATH>\Notification Server\bin

• 2.  RE: ITMS 7.1 - Installing the new Silverlight UI w/o Installing DS

Posted 12-27-2010 02:41 PM

Nice tip.  I'm checking into if we really want the product to be tied together like this or not.  Probably couldn't change it anyway, but I may as well ask.  Again, thanks for the tip.  :D

• 3.  RE: ITMS 7.1 - Installing the new Silverlight UI w/o Installing DS

Posted 12-28-2010 11:09 AM

The new Silverlight UI gets installed when you select an entire suite to install.  For example, if you choose Client Management Suite, Server Management Suite, or IT Management Suite, then the new UI installs.  However, if you only select components (e.g. Patch Management, DS, etc.) then the new UI will not install.

• 4.  RE: ITMS 7.1 - Installing the new Silverlight UI w/o Installing DS

Posted 12-28-2010 01:43 PM

it would get installed when you install DS only?  Does Server Management Suite install DS?

Just a thought.

• 5.  RE: ITMS 7.1 - Installing the new Silverlight UI w/o Installing DS

Posted 04-07-2011 09:47 AM

Hi,

after the installation of the file, you'll also have to execute the command "aexconfig.exe /configueall" in this folder:

<INSTALLPATH>\Notification Server\bin

Greets

Steffen

• 6.  RE: ITMS 7.1 - Installing the new Silverlight UI w/o Installing DS

Posted 04-07-2011 09:48 AM

By the way:

Is this officaly supported? Or will symantec support hang up when I call? ;-)