Washington DC Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Ping Metric for Agentless Monitoring

Posted May 23, 2012 11:42 AM

I see you can adjust packet size and what Thread Pool but how many packets is it sending? The user guide says you can set it, but it looks like you can't for agentless monitors. We would like alert an Network Degradation. So if we start seeing packet percentage dropping under 75% over a 3 minute period we get alerted. Our monitor policy will be configured differently based on how many packets the Ping Metric is actually sending.

For instance, if the PING metric is only sending one packet, then we need to increase the polling interval. Where as if it's sending 4 packets as default, then we can leave polling at the default 5 minute interval.

• 2.  RE: Ping Metric for Agentless Monitoring

Posted May 23, 2012 02:04 PM

While it doesn't explicitly say how many packets are being sent, nor does it appear to be any way to change the number of packets, you can instead of having the metric return a status, have it return a percentage.  In the drop-down for the 'Return Value' field of the ping metric, just select 'Percentage of Packets'.

While not perfect, I think that will get you closer to where you need to be.

• 3.  RE: Ping Metric for Agentless Monitoring

Posted May 23, 2012 02:17 PM

Noodle,

In case that didn't answer your question (I was unclear that you knew you could do percentage), I went ahead and threw Wireshark on our RMS server.  It appears (we're running 7.0 so your mileage may vary if you're on 7.1) that it's sending 5 ICMP requests at a time.

• 4.  RE: Ping Metric for Agentless Monitoring

Posted May 23, 2012 03:02 PM

That was the answer I was looking for. Now part two of the questing... how is the ICMP "STATUS" calculated for the true\false. Is it also sending 5 packets and returnes FALSE if all 5 packets do not return?

BTW, this info would have been good in the guide. smiley

• 5.  RE: Ping Metric for Agentless Monitoring

Posted May 23, 2012 03:32 PM

Considering that we only use 'Status' for all of our ping tests, I'm going to make the assumption that it's always sending 5 packets.  Therefor, I'm going to make another assumption that all 5 must fail in order for it to be FALSE.

Admit it, sleuthing and guesswork is a lot more fun than knowing :)