Twin Cities Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

chrismcevoy72

chrismcevoy72Dec 08, 2014 11:20 AM

• 1.  Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Nov 06, 2014 08:45 AM

I have searched high and low and cannot find any reference to what version of Java needs to be installed on a Windows 8 pc in order to access the Symantec Management Console for version 7.1.8280.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• 2.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 06, 2014 08:49 AM

As Java has so many security holes it would be foolish to specify a partcular release ;-)

Use the latest Java. We keep Java uptodate in our environment (Java 7) and as yet don't see an issue.

Check out this link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO9965 for latest platform support details.

Kind Regards,
    Ian./

• 3.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 03, 2014 01:39 PM

I did check this out and found it of no help.  All I need is what version of Java will let me import software, etc. on SMC 7.1 with IE11 and Windows 8.

• 4.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 03, 2014 01:47 PM

Hi Pat,

Are you asking because you are experiencing a problem? As I said, Java 7 is supported, and you should install the latest version. Installing old versions of Java simply runs the risk of compromise as Java is a vulnerability mountain.

See pg19 of the ITMS Install and Upgrade Guide

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5697

• 5.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 03, 2014 04:07 PM

I agree with the other posters, should work with any version of Java 7, I'd recommend the latest.  We keep our machines up to date with the latest 32-bit version of JRE 7 and have not had issues.

Note:  Java 8 is now released and we've not tested that yet.  If you are having issues, share the details of what you see.

• 6.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 03, 2014 04:51 PM

I've been using Java 8 on my primary administrator workstation since release without issue. I've also installed it on some brand new Notification Servers I'm building out and so far, so good. I'll be setting up Hierarchy on those boxes in the next couple days and will report if I encounter any issues.

• 7.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 03, 2014 05:07 PM

If it's an official declaration of Java 8 support that Pat is after, I'm not sure when that's going to be -it's only been made available to non-developers for about 6 weeks or so. (The Java dependency is one which the core team have been trying to remove... so not sure what tack the PMs will take here)

Until an support statement comes out for Java 8 with the SMP 7.x consoles, the official line as I see it is that Java 7 is supported and that further it is prudent to keep this updated to protect against the latest security vulnerabilities.

• 8.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 04, 2014 05:20 AM

I've been using Java 8 on my Win8.1 PC to access the console for a few months.  No problems so far...

• 9.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 04, 2014 08:24 AM

I want to clarify that we are using Altiris Notification Server version 7.1, not 7.5.  I have a Windows 8 pc with IE11 installed.

I have tried multiple versions of Java on the pc without success. The most recent version of Java I installed is Java 8 update 25 and this is what happens. I cannot get the files/folders under the package folder to display.  You cannot click next as it wil not allow. 
    This portion of SMC requires Java and to date no version is allowing me to go beyond.  Is there a Java certificate that is required for Windows 8/IE11 that should be installed?

import 1.PNG

• 10.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 04, 2014 08:25 AM

what version of Notification server are you on; we are still on 7.1

• 11.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 04, 2014 09:23 AM

Hello Pat

Please note, that IE11 is not supported in SMP 7.1, you need at least 7.5 SP1. And make sure that you are using Java 32-bit because the only supported browser platform is IE 32-bit.

Did you try to use the Java uploader locally on the server? I assume it's running on a Server 2008 box? Which browser version is running on that box?

• 12.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 04, 2014 09:42 AM

I just verified and it will work using java 7 or 8.

I am not saying that java 8 is compatible with SMP7.5.

I am saying the process to import packages work with both java version 7 and 8 on a Windows 8.1 and IE11.

The fact that you can see the folder "package folder" lets me know java is working and configured correctly.

I would check UNC path. Is it valid? Are there files in the folder? Is the server that is hosting the UNC path compatible?

• 13.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 04, 2014 10:22 AM

HI Pat,

Java 8 (and later versions of Java 7 I think) have a some new security which you might need to consider when using the IE to access the server remotely. Applications must either meet the requirements for High or Very High security, or be in the Exception site list in the Java control panel.

So, in our case here we just go to the Java Control panel and edit these,

Control Panel
     --> Java (32-bit)
         --> Click "Security" Tab
            --> Click "Edit Site List" button
               --> Click "Add" to enter your server details

Kind Regards,
    Ian./

• 14.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 04, 2014 10:30 AM

In the past when I've run into Java issues, the spot where you see "Package Folder" actually shows "Error" so at a glance it sounds like Java is working.  When you hit display location what happens?  It should pop up a message that says something like "scanning, may take a few minutes".  Do you see that or see any errors?

In the Java control panel, under the advanced tab, check all the debugging options and select "show console" so you can see any java errors that are generated.  Try adding your software package again and you should see the Java console come up.  If you get errors in the Java console about the JAR not meeting security requirements (like security manifest missing), try lowering the Java security settings or adding the URL for your SMP to the exceptoin site list (on the security tab of Java control panel).

• 15.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 04, 2014 11:10 AM

I think if you using 7.1 , the folloiwng KB will help. you will have to use Java 7 prior to udate 45. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH214272

• 16.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 05, 2014 06:56 AM

Thanks skhs... knew there would be a KB for the Java control panel instructions I cited, but damned if I could find it!

• 17.  RE: Java version for W8 and Symantec management console

Posted Dec 08, 2014 11:20 AM
    We're on 7.5 SP1.