Wisconsin Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Management Agent Installation

Posted Jul 29, 2011 12:49 PM

We recently started setting up a test environment for ITMS 7.1.  After multiple attempts on installing, we have NS up and running we believe.  We are now trying to deploy the Management Client to some test machines and it doesn't seem to deploy pushing from the console for some reason.   We have also tried the manual installation by using the URL : https://....../Altiris/NS/Agent/AltirisAgentDownload.aspx and are getting a 403 - Forbidden : Access is denied error. Any ideas or things to check would be a great a help. 

• 2.  RE: Symantec Management Agent Installation

Posted Jul 29, 2011 01:39 PM

You must be a local administrator on the box you install on.  You must have access to the admin$ share.  Windows XP must have port 80 unblocked and File and Print Sharing must be enabled.

Because both a push and pull fail, this points to you not being a local administrator on the box.  For a push installation, this would typically mean the account you used to install SMP (the Application Identity credential) is not an administrator on the local box.  For a pull, it means the user who logged in is not a local administrator.

A pull install bypasses the firewall specifications I listed above, so this manual pull method would be the best approach for now.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Management Agent Installation

Posted Jul 29, 2011 01:49 PM

NS is running on Windows Server 2008 R2. IIS 6.1.  The first test box I am trying to install it on is my desktop which is running Windows 7 Entereprise 64-bit.  It is in active directory and I am an administrator of the machine via the domain.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Management Agent Installation

Posted Jul 29, 2011 03:08 PM

Have you disabled UAC on your test desktop?  This is not necessary but may aid the troubleshooting.

Can you access the server on port 80 and port 443?  ex: telnet hqaltns01-vm.ad.yaskawa.com 80

You could also launch SIM on the NS and run a repair on the Symantec Management Platform in case something went awry here.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Management Agent Installation

Posted Aug 05, 2011 04:50 PM

Based on the URL provided, it appears you have enabled SSL for your ITMS server.  Did you use a self signed certificate or a CA issued cert?  Do you get cert warnings when you access the console from the client in question? 

• 6.  RE: Symantec Management Agent Installation

Posted Aug 05, 2011 05:35 PM

I disabled SSL and it seems to be installing the client now.  Thanks for the help.

• 7.  RE: Symantec Management Agent Installation

Posted Sep 09, 2011 03:09 PM

I had this issue also when trying to use SSL.  The best way to fix this is to use a GPO to install the SSL certificate on your clients.  Once this was done, I could roll out the agent with no issue.

HTH

Marco